Skip to main content

Why the bastardization of the term "liberal" makes no sense whatsoever...

Before I even started following the world of politics, I can remember hearing radio ads where a man's deep voice adamantly declared that "liberals" are evil. Haunting music played in the background as he listed off the reasons why this was the case: Heavy taxers and spenders, against tradition, unsupportive of real American family values, and more cuckoo than Cocoa Puffs. Sadly, right-wing politicians' and media's bastardization of the term has often times worked. I even know some far left-leaning individuals whom now label themselves as progressive instead of liberal due to the negative connotation with the latter term. When looking at matters objectively, however, the bastardization of the term "liberal" really makes no sense whatsoever.

Take the dictionary, for example. Here are definitions of liberal:

1) "Open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values."

- "Favorable to or respectful of individual rights and freedoms."

- "Favoring maximum individual liberty in political and social reform."

(synonyms: tolerant, unprejudiced, unbigoted, broad-minded, open-minded, enlightened, etc.)

2) "Concerned mainly with broadening a person's general knowledge and experience, rather than with technical or professional training."

(synonyms: wide-ranging, broad-based, general)

3) "Broadly construed or understood; not strictly literal or exact."

(synonyms: flexible, broad, loose, rough, free, general, nonliteral, nonspecific, imprecise, vague, indefinite)

4) "Given, used, or occurring in generous amounts."

- "Giving generously."

(synonyms: generous, openhanded, unsparing, unstinting, ungrudging, lavish, free, munificent, bountiful, beneficent, benevolent, big-hearted, philanthropic, charitable, altruistic, unselfish)

So, when taking the technical definition of the term liberal and substituting the word with synonyms of it in the context of a right-winger attempting to bastardize it, the comments come across as quite puzzling and even silly. Here are just a few such examples:

- "Those no good tolerant ones can't seem to accept the beliefs of Christians!"

- "There's no question about it; the big-hearted individuals on the other side of the spectrum are pure evil!"

- "There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it; enlightened people are stupid!"

Yeah, like I said, the comments come across as so ridiculous, they could properly be described as redonkulous.

Well, in any case, if anyone attempts to talk down to me by calling me a liberal, I'll simply smile, probably chuckle some, and think to myself, "Do they just realize they called me a tolerant, enlightened, big-hearted person?" Probably not, which makes it all the more sad and humorous.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=definition%20of%20liberal

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/liberal?s=t

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...