Skip to main content

Standing Up For "Liberation"

I see a lot of people bashing "Liberation" for being a Queen-rip-off; possessing "awful" lyrics; and/or listing it as the worst, or at least one of the worst songs off Will of the People. While everyone has the right to an opinion, all the negativity surrounding the song prompted me to post a positive write-up of it.

First off, while there are undoubtedly Queen-influences present in this track, I see them as much less overbearing than in some other songs - most notably "United States of Eurasia" (love this track too, by the way). The most obvious said inspiration occurs between the verse and chorus, where multiple vocals are layered - somewhat reminiscent of "Bohemian Rhapsody." That's it, though, and such a musical maneuver is far from rare in Muse's catalog. Hell, just look at this album - the same type of sound transpires at the very tail-end of "We Are F-ing F-ed" (another great song). Queen has long been a major influence on Muse, but, and Queen legendary guitarist Brian May has made similar claims, the band hasn't blatantly ripped-off Queen, so much as they've simply incorporated elements from the band's music to help form their own distinctive sound.

When it comes to lyrics, I've heard everything from "Matt Bellamy is a genius!" to "His lyrics are so cringe!" The most common reaction tends to be something along the lines of "Eh, whatever. I've never listened to Muse for the lyrics." Regardless of your opinion, I feel two things which make poetry most effective are empathy and relatability. The former helps the writer to better understand the subject about which he or she is writing, and also exhibits a greater heart and sensitivity to the author. The latter increases potential outreach, as people of all stripes can directly feel some semblance of inspiration from it - almost as if the song is being sung specifically for them. Matt has said "Liberation" was inspired by the Black Lives Matter movement and protests. Living in the U.S.; knowing Black Americans who have been unfairly targeted by law enforcement due to the color of their skin; and taken part in this very movement myself, whenever I hear this song, I get chills. I immediately see images of unarmed Black men and women being killed by cops: George Floyd, Tamir Rice, Eric Garner, Walter Scott, the list sadly goes on and on. But then I envision protests far and wide; people of all stripes coming together to right the wrongs of the past which have continued into the present; and at the end of the day Martin Luther King's dream ultimately coming to fruition.

The song was inspired by real-life events, which makes it all the more impactful to me. It showcases empathy, which is sadly lacking in this world - so, to me at least, it comes across as refreshing. All in all, I think it's one of the two most powerful tracks on the new album, along with "Verona." It reflects on what was and provides hope for what will be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...