When out last night, I was invited to sit with a group of people at a bar patio. They had always been nice to me, but I didn't know them a great deal. The banter was light for a few minutes, but then the topic of vaccines arose, and my, oh, my, that was something. Apparently, they're all anti-vaxxers. Here's how that portion of the conversation went.
MAGA #1: "Did any of you get the flu vaccine? It's so useless. I'm proud to say I never got any COVID vaccine."
MAGA #2: "Same here. I don't trust the government. Did you get one?"
MAGA #3: "Oh, heavens, no. Nuh uh. Did you?"
Me: "Heck yes!"
MAGA #1: "I just read that there's a link between the COVID vaccine and ADHD."
Me: "That's false. :: shows him a study, debunking his claim ::"
MAGA #1: "That's your opinion. I feel differently."
Me: "No, it's been debunked. Your opinion is wrong."
MAGA #1: "Whatever, dude. I know people who died because of the vaccine. It killed more people than it saved."
Me: "Jebus, are you being serious right now? :: pulls out some more links, debunking every one of his claims ::"
MAGA #1: "Whatever. I know people, who got vaccinated, that died."
Me: "The COVID vaccine isn't a cure; it's a preventative, aimed at decreasing severe symptoms, hospitalizations, and deaths. There's a direct link between an increase in vaccinations and a decrease in severe symptoms, hospitalizations, and deaths."
MAGA #1: "What about Anthony Fauci? Do you like him?"
Me: "I respect him a great deal, yes."
MAGA #1: "Jesus, dude..."
MAGA #4: "He's a crook. He got rich because of COVID. His wife was in charge of approving the Pfizer vaccine."
Me: "Once again, those allegations are false. :: pulls out links, debunking her claims ::"
MAGA #4: "How can you trust him?"
Me: "Okay, let me ask you a question: What did you think about Ronald Reagan, as a president?"
MAGA #4: "I thought he was a good president."
Me: "Okay, Dr. Fauci worked under Reagan - the first of 7 presidents, from both sides of the aisle, he worked for. What about George H.W. Bush? Did you think he was a good president too?"
MAGA #4: "Yes"
Me: "Fauci worked under him as well. How about George W. Bush?"
MAGA #4: "Yes"
Me: "Not only did Fauci work for him, Bush honored him with a Presidential Medal of Freedom."
MAGA #4: "Just because a person did good in the past, doesn't mean they can't do something in the future to disrupt all that."
Me: "Okay, that's true. So, what did Fauci did after working with 7 presidents, to warrant these allegations of yours?"
MAGA #4: "I don't know, but it should be investigated."
Me: "So, none of you here know what it is Dr. Fauci did to warrant your allegations of criminal behavior? Interesting..."
MAGA #2: "Anyway, nice night, isn't it?"
After its first week, I gave The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore a B+ grade. While I didn't think the show appeared to be perfect by any stretch of the imagination, I also liked the Daily Show meets Politically Incorrect vibe I got from it, and thought, with the proper adjustments, the show would indeed provide a great fill-in for The Colbert Report . In the show's succeeding weeks, however, I've been less impressed by it and think that if it doesn't make certain adjustments, it could be in jeopardy of losing many long-time viewers of the show's time slot. One major issue I think the show's had to this point is a lack of direction. It's been unable to decide whether it wants to be a comedy show with serious conversation sprinkled in or a serious show with comedy sprinkled in. It's almost as if the show's writers want to give The Nightly Show a Real Time with Bill Maher feel. The problem with that idea or format is the fact Real Time is an hour lon...
Comments
Post a Comment