Skip to main content

Defining Art

In light of my poem (and myself) being attacked mostly due to a misinterpretation of it and a friend of mine being told that her poem wasn't actually a poem, I wrote a blog and posted it on that site, which reads as follows:

 It seems that some people like to believe they have the answers to all of life's questions, that the grey matter in others' eyes is black and white to them. There is no uncertainty in their minds. If another disagrees with their opinion (fact according to them), it's inevitable that the other individual is mistaken. There are certain scenarios where this is understandable, I suppose. If Person A contends that 4 + 4 = 7, Person B can speak matter-of-factly that Person A is incorrect. However, I don't understand how that black-and-white form of thinking can be directly applied to the world of art, which I (and others I know) have run into recently.

In recent days, I have been witness to two people (there are many others, I'm sure) whom believe they can accurately define poetry. If another writes a poem which does not meet their guidelines, that bit of writing does not constitute as poetry. In my opinion, I don't believe it is possible to define any one form of art and those that attempt to do so only limit that particular medium's full potential.

Looking to Webster for guidance, he/she/it/whatever says that "define" means:

"to state or set forth the meaning of (a word, phrase, etc.)"

So, these two before-mentioned individuals (and others) believe to know the meaning of poetry and if any one poem does not fit their criteria, that writing is not poetry. I find this to be utterly asinine.

If art were so confined, we would not have such diversity and would not have such masterpieces as we've been so fortunate to witness. Throughout its history, people have continually tried to define art and have continually been proven wrong. Whether it be through music, painting, cinema, writing, etc., artists have consistently tried to push the envelope a bit further and with much success. If trends, the media and/or critics state they should travel north, they're likely going to travel south. Art simply would not be art with such constriction.

Often times, art is about a connection - emotionally connecting with a person. Whether an English Professor, music instructor or art teacher would grade the work with an "A" is irrelevant to how that work connects with someone. An English book may set forth certain rules and guidelines to follow in order to appease teachers, but the book cannot set forth any such rules on how to concoct a piece of writing which will connect with a person emotionally. A musician may perform a song which is cringe-inducing in sound to many. A person may write a poem or short story which would receive a failing grade from most professors. If that song or story connects with a person, however, that's really what it's all about and just like one's personal emotions cannot be defined, neither too can art.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...