Skip to main content

In the face of danger and even death, some continue to cling onto the hope of love

I can't say I understand love, relationships, marriage, etc. I've never been in love. I've been single for a very long time. I've never been married. So, whatever one wants to do with their lives in the world of "love," so be it. Whatever makes them happy, as the saying goes.

However, as I haven't a firm grasp on the concept of love, neither do I understand some people's decisions when they claim to be in love. Over the past 6-12 months, I've heard of three such stories which have perplexed me to no end:

1) A woman who was beaten by her boyfriend (multiple times) kept running back to him before she finally realized it was best for she and her daughter (yes, a child was involved) to go elsewhere.

2) A woman whom was raped by her husband (they have two children) kept pondering on if she should go back to him or not. She went back and forth on it for a while, until she decided to leave him.

3) A woman (with two kids) was witness to her boyfriend, drunk, with a gun pointed toward his head and a shotgun nearby, only to save his life and take him to the hospital. As of this moment, they're still together.

In all three of these cases, kids were involved. In all three of these situations, I'd leave the guy without hesitation, because not only would he be endangering my life, but he'd be endangering my kids' lives. A man beating a woman? Who's to say he won't lose it and if the girlfriend isn't there, take it out on the child? Who knows what is possible with a man whom rapes a woman. Finally, with an alcoholic, whom has suicidal thoughts, and possession of guns, who's to say he couldn't get drunk one night, accidentally pull the trigger and take one of the kid's lives?

I don't understand. I think loyalty is a great thing. I've been cheated on before, so I, like other similar-experienced individuals, truly appreciate and long for loyalty. However, there is a line to be drawn between loyalty and (fill-in-the-blank). I'm not a parent, but I can tell you right now if someone I was with endangered my child in any manner, I would be out the door faster than a politician lies.

Like I said, I don't understand love anymore. I know several single, good guys (myself included), whom seem to have difficulty in attracting someone of our liking as more than a friend. However, I then hear about guys who beat, rape and almost kill women and... I just can't even think about it anymore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...