Skip to main content

The Macho Man Space Filler

Whenever taking a public speaking course, the teacher will utter three words he or she refer to as space fillers - like, uh and um. These words are typically spoken when the speaker pauses for a moment and to prevent silence, even if for just a second, the student will resort to one of these space fillers in an attempt to prevent the momentary silence, in thinking they'll sound more intelligent without pause. Unfortunately, it has the direct opposite effect and makes them sound anything but more intelligent. People whom are referred to as valley girls tend to utilize the word "like" in an abundance and as most of us have heard at least one individual whom says "like" in such a manner, I think we can all say with confidence that this individual came across as the polar opposite of a brainiac. As that label tends to refer to women (valley "girl"), I think I've come across a similar space filler for males. That space filler? "...and shit". I don't know if this is some kind of code spoken just amongst males or if it becomes a habit shortly after guys turns 2 years of age or if they had aspirations of becoming rappers. I haven't figured that out quite yet. What I have discovered is when placed in certain situations, that space filler, like the word like, can be quite amusing. Let me give a few examples, along with my reactions, of course:

Setting: A Wedding

Pastor Shaft: "Do you take Harietta to be your your lawfully wedded wife, to love and cherish her? In sickness and in health? For better or for worse? Until death do you part and sh*t?"

Herman: "I do and sh*t."

My reaction:  I think it's official that Harietta has found herself a winner. Not only does Herman take her to be his wife, he's also been potty trained. Her standards were quite lofty, but Herman pulled through in the end, well, as far as we know. There are still questions pertaining to the gift Herman's parents bought for the newly-married-childless couple - a lifetime supply of Huggies.


Setting: Arrest

Officer Jelly: "Mike Johnson, you have the right to remain silent and sh*t..."

My reaction: Mr. Jelly may want to exclude those last two words, for if Mike does indeed sh*t, I have a hunch there won't be much silence following that event, from the officer's end or the sh*tter's.


Setting: Church

Father Pile: "Jesus loves you. He died for you and sh*t."

My reaction: I certainly hope Christianity's savior can partake in the act of sh*tting. If not, I'm not sure I could believe he existed. Although, if he did exist and wasn't able to do the deed, perhaps I'd be more inclined to believe he did work miracles, that or I'd be extremely worried that he'd explode at any moment.


Setting: Karaoke

Lois: "...and IIIIIIIIIII-eeeee-IIIIII will always love youuuuuuuuuu and sh*t..."

My reaction: Actually, I think these may have been the very lyrics to the cover of this song, done by Bobby Brown, in trying to save his marriage with Whitney Houston.


Setting: Proposal

Jimmy: "I've been thinking about this for a long time and I love you. I've never felt this way about anyone before and more than anything in this world, I want for us to be together until death do us part. What I'm trying to say is, Daria, will you marry me and sh*t?"

My reaction: That's deep. That's romance. That's love right there. I'm thinking I smell a Dane Cook-Jessica Simpson romantic comedy in the works here, entitled, "I Love You Like So Much and Sh*t".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...