Skip to main content

Miguel Cabrera may not be human

While I haven't completely lost faith in Albert Pujols being an elite hitter, the guy to watch at the plate is Miguel Cabrera of the Detroit Tigers. Cabrera won the Triple Crown last year, posting a .330 batting average, hitting 44 home runs, and driving in 139 runs - the first time any player had done so since Carl Yastrzemski did it back in 1967 for the Boston Red Sox. Scarily enough, Cabrera is having an even better season this year and if he stays healthy, has a legitimate shot at a repeat Triple Crown.

Yes, that's right. Through 79 games, Cabrera is hitting an astounding .375 (.045 points higher than last year), with 24 home runs (on pace for 51 - 7 more than last year), and 82 RBIs (on pace for 166 - 27 more than last year). Cabrera may be a liability in the field at times, but he has improved since his move to third base, and with the way he's hitting, it doesn't really matter. Cabrera put together one of the best offensive seasons in the modern era last year and is currently outperforming himself from that phenomenal season. He's ranked first in the AL in batting average (.040 points ahead of the guy in second place), first in RBIs (a couple ahead of the second place guy), first in runs scored (four ahead of the the guy in second place), first in hits (three ahead of the second place guy), first in on-base percentage (.050 points ahead of the guy in second place), first in OPS (slightly ahead of the second place guy), first in WAR, and second in home runs (six behind the leader). There are a lot of great hitters in baseball, but at this current time, Miguel Cabrera is the very best. The way he's playing, many around the league are wondering if he's actually human.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/stats/_/id/5544/miguel-cabrera

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...