Skip to main content

New information on the IRS ordeal - the White House wasn't involved

I hate to brag about my record on the Obama Administration's "scandals," but unlike most Congressional Republicans, appear to be batting a perfect 1.000 at this point.

With regard to Benghazi, I noted that while there appeared to be a great deal of incompetence shown by the administration in the attacks themselves and the response to the attacks, the charge of a cover-up was unlikely. That appears to have been just the case.

I then stated that the biggest problem dealing with the IRS ordeal wasn't the targeting of certain political groups, which occurred during the Bush Administration as well, but the vague language used to establish 501(c)(4) tax-exempt status to certain groups as well as the Citizen's United ruling. I also confidently noted that the White House likely had nothing to do with the political targeting of groups. New information brought to light by Maryland Democratic Representative Elijah Cummings appears show that, as I contended, the White House was not involved in these cases of political targeting by the IRS.

In an interview with the House Oversight Committee, a man who worked for the IRS (the Cincinnati manager) and described himself as a "conservative Republican," said the following:

"I do not believe that the screening of these cases had anything to do other than consistency and identifying issues that needed to have further development."

and

"I have no reason to believe that." (when asked whether or not the White House was directly involved in the screenings of Tea Party cases)

I now seriously hope that the focus, as it should have been all along, is placed on the Department of Justice - the AP leaks and NSA spying. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that the media will be the only ones truly angered about the AP leaks and no matter how many people are uncomfortable with the NSA spying, it's highly unlikely majorities in both chambers of commerce will take action and overturn portions of the Patriot Act.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/06/09/democrats-say-conservative-irs-employee-refutes-charges-of-white-house-meddling/

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2013/06/09/2126151/irs-staff-undermine-gop-claims-that-washington-directed-targeting-of-conservative-groups-top-democrat-says/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...