Skip to main content

Fox (News) isn't concerned about facts

If there was any doubt that Fox News is a right-wing propaganda machine, Scientific American editor Michael Moyer recently placed those doubts to rest.

Moyer was asked to discuss the future of science and technology on Fox & Friends.

With regard to the experience, Moyer wrote the following in a blog published by Scientific American:

"About the only interesting thing that the scientific community is sure will happen in the next 50 years is that climate change is going to get worse, and that we're going to have to deal with the impacts. So I put that as one of my talking points."

He then claimed that a producer of the show told him to not discuss climate change during the segment.

Moyer also stated this in his blog:

"I found the tone and topics of coverage while I was sitting in the green room this morning to be not something that I wanted to be a part of in the future. I didn't realize that the drumbeat of conservative propaganda was so ubiquitous on the show."

Of course, Fox News denied the claim, as they released the following statement to Business Insider:

"We invited Michael on for a segment on technological and scientific trends we can expect in the future. We worked closely with him and his team and there was never an issue on the topic of climate change. To say he was told specifically not to discuss it, would be false."

Moyer disputed that claim, however, as he contended that a Fox producer wrote him an email with the message, "Can we replace the climate change with something else?"

While this doesn't come as a surprise to me, I'm sure it does to Fox regulars (whom will likely take Fox's word over Moyer's). In a recent study, it showed that Fox News's coverage on climate change was accurate only 28% of the time last year. Sadly, that was four times the number from 2012, when Fox News was accurate on climate change just 7% of the time.

Fox producer: "Can we replace the climate change with something else?"

My response: "Can we replace Fox with something else? Like actual news?"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/30/fox-news-climate-change-michael-moyer_n_5242147.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...