Skip to main content

Why does it seem most people can't completely own up to their mistakes?

While I'm by no means a fan of confrontation, especially in relationships (dating, friendships, or otherwise), it is essential at times to either check the status of a relationship or to move it forward in one manner or another. However, I've noticed two common problems with these confrontations: 1) Some people refuse to engage in such discussions, and 2) When confronted on an issue, many refuse to completely own up to their mistakes.

While I understand the mindset of those in group 1, as I've come to learn, the longer people ignore problems in a relationship, the more likely it is that said problems will come back to bite them somewhere down the line. As the saying goes, the first step to solving a problem is admitting one exists. If one doesn't admit this problem, how will he or she know one is present, and how will they then tackle and defeat said problem? It would be strange to hear someone say they enjoy confrontation, but whether or not we enjoy it, it's necessary to keep a relationship progressing.

Of the two groups of people I listed, I've actually had much more experience with those in the second. While I can understand that it may be difficult to take full responsibility for a problem at times, I rarely witness people completely own up to these mistakes. If confronted about a mistake they made, they'll often times resort to the tit-for-tat strategy and showcase false equivalence - that or apologize, but follow it up with comments which make the apology appear to not exactly be sincere.

An example of the tit-for-tat strategy would be this:

Wife: "This is the second time I caught you kissing another woman! How can I ever trust you?"

Husband: "Well, you're not exactly an angel yourself. Remember that time you winked at that guy at the restaurant?"

Wife: "I had something in my eye. It was a natural reaction."

Husband: "Sure, sure. I had something in my eyes too, which is why I kissed those women - I mistook them for you." :: wink wink ::

Wife: "That's not the same thing! Ugh!"


The tit-for-tat strategy is a defense mechanism for many. They may take a comment about a mistake they made as an insult to their character, and they almost instinctually react by pointing out the other person isn't perfect either. While this may relieve them of some guilt initially, it tends to cause more problems in the end.

The less-than-sincere-apology strategy goes something like this:

Female: "I'm really, really sorry that I don't want to date you, but I mean, you should have known better than to have gotten feelings for me. I even told you fairly early that I wasn't looking to date anyone right now. So, if you think about it, this is pretty much all your fault. Again, though, I'm really sorry."

Male: "Wait - what? You said you really liked me, you hadn't felt this way in a long time, and that you were even smitten with me..."

Female: "Yeah - so? I'm sorry, but you should have known I didn't want to date."

Male: "But I met you at a dating site, and you said you were looking for a serious relationship."

Female: "Get over it, buddy. If you're not cool with putting your feelings to the side and just being friends, we should probably stop talking."

Male: "But the name of the site was IWantToGetMarriedAlready.com."

Female: "Gosh, you're annoying! I said I was sorry, okay? It's your fault anyway! I've been honest from the beginning!"

Male: "But you've contradicted yourself several times..."

Female: "Whatever."


Why is it so difficult for someone, when being confronted about a mistake they made, to just say, "You know what? You're right, I'm sorry, and I'll do everything in my power to make certain that doesn't happen again"? We all make mistakes, and the only way we'll improve upon these mistakes is by admitting they happened and making the necessary adjustments to prevent them from occurring again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...