Skip to main content

A closer look at the ABC/Washington Post poll

As seems to so often be the case, the 24-hour news media seems to be obsessing over a couple of components of the new ABC/Washington Post poll, and I'm here to say, unless this becomes a trend, it's being blown out of proportion.

The two components I'm talking about are with regard to President Obama's approval rating and also whether or not voters want to see Democrats or Republicans in charge of Congress following the upcoming midterms.

According to this poll, President Obama is at a net -11 approval rating (41% approving, 52% disapproving). Also, according to this poll, Republicans are at a +14 (53-39) when asked if voters would rather see them or Democrats be in control of Congress after the midterm elections.

However, like I said, unless these numbers become a trend, I think they're getting blown out of proportion - due to other recent polls, as well as some other numbers within the same ABC/Washington Post poll.

According to Real Clear Politics, Democrats hold a 0.8% advantage over Republicans in a 2014 generic Congressional vote. In other words, that 53-39 number from the ABC/Washington Post poll may be quite misleading, and I'd be curious to know what the specifics were according to different locations. If certain areas where Senate toss-up races take place are in that 39% for the Democrats, then that 53% for Republicans will be fairly irrelevant come election day. Democrats would still control the Senate in that scenario.

Also, President Obama's approval rating, which is under 50% in every major poll, doesn't appear to be as low as the ABC/Washington Post poll contends. In four polls that were released more recently than the before-mentioned one, Obama's approval rating is at approximately 44.8%, while his disapproval is at around 51.3%, or a net of -6.5%. This includes the right-leaning Rasmussen Reports, which has the president at a net of -4 (47% approval, 51% disapproval). In other words, four polls which have been released more recently than the ABC/Washington Post one, have the president 3.5 points higher, which again leads me to believe that the ABC/Washington Post number is an outlier.

Lastly, numbers from the ABC/Washington Post poll which the 24-hour news networks haven't talked much about shed a different light on the public's perception of the two parties and what we can expect come November.

According to this same poll, the public trusts Democrats to handle this country's "main problems" by a 40 to 34 count. Voters also believe Democrats will do a better job of helping the middle class by a 20-point margin (52 to 32). They also trust Democrats more on women's issues than Republicans by 30 points (55 to 25).

As it was also reported in the poll:

"...Democrats have a significant advantage on eight issues, from health care to climate change to abortion and same-sex marriage. Democrats have a smaller advantage on immigration..."

Yes, according to the headlines and 24-hour-news-network talking points, it sounded like it was all doom and gloom for the Democratic Party based on this one poll. Yet, when looking at things more closely, it appears as if many in the news media was just trying to give journalism a bad name yet again.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/post-abc-news-poll-shows-democrats-at-risk-in-november-as-obamas-approval-rating-falls/2014/04/28/2a448b04-cf07-11e3-b812-0c92213941f4_story.html

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...