Skip to main content

Arrigo Sacchi: "I'm not a racist, but..."

Former Italy soccer coach Arrigo Sacchi has found himself in hot water due to some controversial comments he recently made while speaking at an awards ceremony, where he said following:

"I'm certainly not racist and my history as a coach demonstrates that ... but look at the Viareggio [youth] tournament I would say that there are too many black players. Italy has no dignity, no pride. It should not be possible that our teams should have 15 foreign players in the squad."

After facing the inevitable backlash from his comments, Sacchi attempted to clarify his remarks by speaking to Gazzetta dello Sport and saying this:

"I have been misrepresented, how could I be racist?

I just said I saw a game featuring a team who fielded four coloured boys. My history speaks for itself, I always coached teams with different colours and I bought many, both at Milan and at Madrid.

I just wanted to point out that we are losing our national pride and identity."

I'm not sure which comment was worse, the original or the clarification attempt. What Sacchi essentially stated was this:

Original comment: "I'm certainly not racist, but there are too many black players."

Clarification attempt: "How could I be racist? I just said I saw a game featuring a team who had fielded four coloured boys."

Given the nature of that original comment and the lousy clarification attempt which followed it, expect Arrigo Sacchi to make the following statements and "clarifications" at some point in his life:

Original comment: "I'm certainly not sexist, but there are too many women working nowadays."

Clarification attempt: "How could I be sexist? I just said broads and bitches are making too much money."


Original comment: "I'm certainly not xenophobic, but there are way too many Muslims in the world."

Clarification attempt: "How could I be xenophobic? I just said most Muslims are funny-looking terrorists with names like Abdul Ahmad Rashad Muhammad Allah Qaeda Jazeera."


Original comment: "I'm certainly not homophobic, but gays kind of bother me."

Clarification attempt: "How could I be homophobic? I just said gays are sick, gross, icky, and will be condemned to hell when all is said and done."


Original comment: "I'm certainly not intelligent, but..."

No, no "but" is needed there; I think he got that right...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/17/arrigo-sacchi-no-racist-too-many-blacks-youth-teams

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...