Skip to main content

Talking sports with Sarah Palin

Remember Sarah Palin? I know, I've been trying to forget her too, but every now and again she comes up with an unintentionally laugh-worthy quote which both makes me chuckle and thankful she was never Vice President.

After ESPN suspended Curt Schilling for his racist and historically inaccurate anti-Muslim tweet, Palin posted the following message on her Facebook page:

"ESPN IS A JOURNALISTIC EMBARRASSMENT

ESPN - what happened to you? Your intolerant PC police are running amok and making a joke out of you!

By picking and choosing who they'll tolerate and who they'll try to destroy, ESPN has zero credibility as a sound and reasonable media outlet. They suspended former major league great Curt Schilling because of his tweet:

'Only 5-10% of Muslims are extremists. In 1940, only 7% of Germans were Nazis. How'd that go?'

ESPN reacted about as fast as a Schilling pitch, wimpering, 'Curt's tweet was completely unacceptable, and in no way represents our company's perspective. We have removed him from his current assignment... pending further consideration.'

Two points - well, three, because Curt's a pretty conservative/independent guy.

One - there's been crude, rude bile spewing from the once-great sports network for years now. Trust me. I know. My name and reputation's been in it. One ESPN affiliate's on-air rant featuring their misogynist, animalistic 'analysts' grunting and giggling through an entire x-rated celebration of violence against women didn't even draw a chirp from ESPN's wussified leaders. Look it up; I don't want to have to recount it. ESPN radio affiliate in Las Vegas got its kicks out of convicted rapist Mike Tyson describing the next rape he'd want to see. (Warning, graphic language throughout that Sept. 20, 2011 broadcast.)

Two - Schilling's tweet - was he wrong? No! In fact his stats were too generous in estimating Muslims' attitudes. Reports show it's 88% of Egyptian Muslims favoring DEATH for anyone who leaves Islam. The majority of Muslims in many other places share the sentiment. In America, these views could be correctly described as 'extreme.'

The difference between Hitler's army and the genocidal maniacs of ISIS is that the jihadists don't have as much power... yet.

By denying the accuracy of Schilling's tweet, ESPN shows its weakness as it buys into the propaganda of ISIS and other terror organizations, helping mislead the public about the very real threat of terrorism. It shows once again that ESPN would rather concentrate on liberal global politics instead of report well on our beloved sports.

From those of us who used to LOVE the network (to the point of addiction, some would confess!), I say to ESPN, you are awful in this. Stick to sports.

- Sarah Palin"


Ms. Palin, first of all, Curt Schilling's tweet was not in fact accurate. Fact-checker PunditFact graded it as "Mostly False," adding this:

"Schilling tweeted that in 1940 only 7 percent of Germans were Nazis. That figure is too low. It might be close for the more limited fraction of Nazi supporters who formally joined the party, but it ignores the Nazis' electoral domination in 1932 and the popularity that came after the first military victories in 1939. The vote results and the assessment of the experts we reached point to a much larger figure in the range of 35 percent. That's five times larger than the figure in the tweet.

We rate this claim Mostly False."

Secondly, ESPN is a sports network first and foremost. I hear about as much on ISIS and other terrorist groups from my 2-year-old niece as I do on ESPN. ESPN's a sports network, and like anyone else, cares about their image and ratings. They want to anger as few people as possible, so when a personality of the network posts a tweet comparing Muslims to Nazis, expect the network to react swiftly. Also, the fact of the matter is Curt Schilling has a history of posting anti-Muslim memes on his social networking pages. Until this latest one, he had been able to get away with it. So let's not pretend that this was a one-time thing and ESPN overreacted to an aberration as opposed to a trend.

Lastly, I found the final line of Palin's message to be ironically hilarious. Curt Schilling, an ESPN baseball analyst, got suspended from announcing the Little League World Series due to a political tweet, and Sarah Palin closes her post by telling ESPN to "stick to sports"? Really? If Schilling had stuck to sports, he wouldn't have gotten suspended in the first place!

Curt Schilling: Posts a political tweet

ESPN suspends Schilling for the political tweet

Sarah Palin: "Stick to sports, ESPN!"

Stick to unintentionally making us laugh, Sarah! Thanks again!

http://deadspin.com/sarah-palin-lays-into-espn-over-curt-schilling-suspensi-1727183035

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2015/aug/28/curt-schilling/schilling-throws-wild-pitch-nazi-stat/

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/8/25/9207657/curt-schilling-really-likes-posting-on-facebook-about-muslims-being

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...