Skip to main content

I'm sorry, but America is NOT a democracy

It's time we finally admit it - the United States of America is not a democracy. Sure, we may often like to brag about how we're the freest country in the world, that it's our duty to help spread our democratic principles to other parts of the globe, and even that we're the greatest country in recorded history. Unfortunately, our actions don't validate these words.

A democracy is a "government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system."

Yet we continue to make it more difficult for certain demographics to vote on election day, we refuse to acknowledge the day as a national holiday (or at least hold it during the weekend), and at the end of the day, it's not a guarantee that the candidate with the most votes will be rewarded the presidency.

Let's take this past election as a prime example. In this country, there are approximately 319 million people, including 232 million registered voters. This past Tuesday, Donald Trump won the election with a little over 60 million votes, compared to close to 61 million votes for runner-up Hillary Clinton. Yes, read that over again. Clinton currently leads by close to 600,000, and due to where the uncounted votes remain, it's predicted her final margin of victory will be at least 2 million votes. Imagine trying to explain this to a foreigner unfamiliar with the electoral college.

Foreigner: "So, I heard you recently had an election."

American: "Yes, yes we did."

Foreigner: "Who won?"

American: "Donald Trump"

Foreigner: "Oh yeah? Was it close or did he dominate people's votes that day?"

American: "Actually, his loser opponent got about 2 million more votes than him."

Foreigner: "Say what?!?"

Not only that, but let's break down these numbers a bit further. If we were to include all 319 million residents of this country, Donald Trump won the presidential election by earning the vote of just 18.9% of them. If we were to just count registered voters, he won the support of only 25.9% of them. In other words, approximately 1 in 4 voters supported our next president and only 1 in 5 people overall did so.

Think about that for a moment. An estimated 2 million more people voted for Donald Trump's opponent than him; just 25% of registered voters supported him, 20% overall; and he will be our next president. If that isn't a twisted form of democracy, I don't know what is.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/democracy?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...