Skip to main content

"Quoted" tweets, brought to you by Donald Trump

What is it with Donald Trump and using unnecessary, perhaps meaningless quotations in tweets?

First, on March 4th of this year, he tweeted this:

"Terrible! Just found out that Obama had my 'wires tapped' in Trump Tower just before the victory. Nothing found. This is McCarthyism!"

After receiving backlash for his (false) accusation, press secretary Sean Spicer attempted to partially walk back the president's comments, telling the press, "I think that there's no question that something happened. The question is, is it surveillance, is it a wiretap, or whatever?"

Then on May 12th, The Donald posted this tweet:

"James Comey better hope that there are 'no tapes' of our conversations before he starts leaking to the press!"

To this point, there has been no evidence to either prove nor disprove Trump's insinuation. However, given his history with using quotes to broaden a term's definition, several analysts have speculated that, when he typed the word "tapes," it could have meant a number of things other than the term which was used. Due to that, I'd like to predict some future "quoted" Trump tweets and an accurate translation of them.

Trump tweet: "I once had 'sex' with Heather Locklear."

Translation: "I once used my lips on Heather Locklear. Using your lips is the gateway drug to sex. Yes, we were talking."


Trump tweet: "Schwarzenegger better watch his mouth! I'll never forget the day I 'punched' him, so hard, so so hard."

Translation: "My hand firmly connected with a part of Arnold Schwarzenegger's body. I got the better of that hand shake, believe me!"


Trump tweet: "Did you know I invented the phrase, 'a dime a dozen'? It's true! Google it!"

Translation: "I heard a new phrase the other day - 'a dime a dozen.' I'm not sure what it means, but I looked up both 'dime' and 'dozen' in the dictionary, so yeah."

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2017/mar/21/timeline-donald-trumps-false-wiretapping-charge/

http://www.npr.org/2017/05/12/528104260/trump-tweet-suggests-his-conversations-with-comey-might-have-been-recorded

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...