Skip to main content

Tomi Lahren's Unintentional Irony

During an interview on Fox & Friends, conservative commentator and professional Barbie impersonator - Tomi Lahren - had this to say with regard to the NFL protests:

"I would like to ask these players 'What exactly are you kneeling for and why have you chosen the flag and the anthem to do it?' I bet if we asked a hundred players, we would get a hundred different answers. And then further more, I would like to ask those same players, 'What would it take to get you to stand and respect the anthem?' And again you'd probably get a hundred different answers, if you'd get an answer at all."

Tomi Lahren is probably right. There are likely multiple different reasons why these NFL players are either sitting or kneeling during the pre-game National Anthem. There probably isn't a universal reason why each and every one of these players feel prompted to protest. However, in saying that, Ms. Lahren is unintentionally admitting that these protesters are thinking before kneeling and that the meaning behind the flag isn't universal, which makes criticizing the protesters for "spitting in the face of our troops" nonsensical. While Lahren wants to ask people why they kneel for anthem, why not ask those who stand for the anthem why they do? Ms. Lahren believes she'd receive a hundred different answers from one hundred kneelers. Why? Because they've placed some thought into why they're kneeling. What about those who stand? Chances are we'd receive a number of different answers as well. The point is symbols like the flag aren't universal in what they represent. So while it may make personal sense for an individual to stand or kneel during the National Anthem, why does it then make sense to criticize this individual for a personal stance on a symbol which isn't universal? Thank you, Tomi Lahren, for unintentionally pointing out that reality. Well done.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/356022-tomi-lahren-asks-nfl-players-what-exactly-are-you-kneeling-for

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...