Skip to main content

Remembering George H.W. Bush

I was between 8 and 12 years old when George H.W. Bush was president. At that time, I followed politics about as closely as a meteorologist follows flurries in Buffalo. Pretty much all I remember about him during that time are: 1) His rather distinct voice; 2) "Read my lips - no new taxes;" 3) Desert Storm; and 4) That he was a Republican; and 5) Dana Carvey doing a spot-on impression of him on Saturday Night Live. So, safe to say, 99% of what I've learned about the man have come in the years after his presidency.

It's pretty amazing, in this day and age, to stand back and look at how the Republican Party has changed over the past several decades. Look at where they are today. Whether they like to admit it or not, Donald Trump has become the face of the party. His ideology now coincides with that of the GOP. While the party was shifting rightward during the late Bush's years as president, it was still in that transition stage between moderate, civil, respectable party and far-right, angry, embarrassing party. This is largely why, at least from a liberal's vantage point, the George H.W. Bush presidency is a such a perplexing one.

While the 41st president went to war in the Middle East, he also set forth a quicker, more cost-efficient plan than did his son. While he talked a big game about not raising taxes, he actually did. H.W. signed bills which helped to protect the environment and provide aid for the disabled. At the same time, he nominated Clarence Thomas to the Supreme Court, which may have largely paved the way for an individual like Brett Kavanaugh to be nominated. Bush penned a letter to the NRA, cancelling his membership. He was eloquent when passing over the reigns to his successor, Democrat Bill Clinton. Like I said, remembering George H.W. Bush's legacy is a complicated one, especially for a self-described progressive.

Sadly, when reflecting on the Republican Party, I'm probably beginning to sound like my parents with regard to music or technology: "I remember, back in the day..." The fact of the matter is, I rarely agreed with Bush when it came to his policies, yet even then, for some strange reason, I wish he and people like him were more representative of the Republican Party of today than the man we currently have in the Oval Office. For all of his flaws, George H.W. Bush was willing to work across the aisle with Democrats; he showed respect to members of the media; he was unafraid to stand up to conservative-dominated lobbyists and special interest groups on occasion; and he could laugh at himself. That may sound unimportant, but I like for the person in the highest office in the land to be confident and secure, yet to be able to display even the slightest semblance of humility. Donald Trump doesn't possess that. One joke at his expense and he lets loose on Twitter like a speed-induced cat on a ball of yarn. That's where we are today with the Republican Party. Donald Trump and his ilk have lowered standards to such a grand extent, any semblance of civility, security, and/or humility would be seen as a step up.

Even though I may have often disagreed with his politics, unlike the current president, George H.W. Bush actually attempted to serve the country and not just himself. He genuinely felt his decisions were the right ones to move our country forward, and especially in this day-and-age, I have to respect that. Thank you for your service, Mr. Bush. Rest in peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...