Skip to main content

Newsflash: UCF's loss to LSU proves nothing

What is with all the hate and trolling on #8 Central Florida (UCF) after their 40-32 loss to #11 LSU in the Fiesta Bowl on New Year's Day? I can't tell you how many times I've heard supposedly nonpartisan announcers/commentators say, "Well, that just goes to show you Central Florida didn't deserve any consideration to be part of the four-team playoff." Uh, no it didn't.

Central Florida won 25 straight games leading up to their 8-point defeat at the hands of SEC-power LSU. They defeated another SEC-power, Auburn, in the same game a year ago to finish the season 13-0. It's not like they lost to a nobody or got dominated. The Golden Knights were an inch or two away from recovering an onside kick toward the end of the 4th quarter, which would have given them a chance to tie the game and send it to overtime. Not only that, but they were starting their back-up quarterback in place of their all-conference starter. So you're going to tell me an 8-point loss to the #11 team in the country when starting your back-up quarterback proves you didn't deserve to be in the 4-team playoff? Really?

Let's also look at the #3 and #4 playoff selection teams. I think we can all agree #1 Alabama and #2 Clemson were deserving of their selections and are, probably without question, the two best teams in the country. Notre Dame, however, lost 30-3 to Clemson and then 1-loss Oklahoma, before a late-game run, was dominated by Alabama. It's not like these announcers can tell me with a straight face, "Central Florida's one-possession defeat at the hands of LSU while shorthanded proves they wouldn't have made a more competitive contest than Alabama or Clemson than did Oklahoma or Notre Dame."

Condensing matters, here's what these announcers are essentially saying:

Event: 12-0 #3 Notre Dame loses by 27 points to #2 Clemson
Conclusion: "Well, Notre Dame deserved to be in the 4-team playoff!"

Event: 12-1 #4 Oklahoma loses by 11 points to #1 Alabama
Conclusion: "Well, Oklahoma deserved to be in the 4-team playoff!"

Event: 25-0 #8 Central Florida loses by 8 points to #11 LSU
Conclusion: "Well, Central Florida didn't deserve to be in the 4-team playoff!"

Give me a break! Would Central Florida have defeated Alabama or Clemson? Probably not. But they sure as hell deserved the opportunity and would have made things more interesting than either Notre Dame or Oklahoma did!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...