Skip to main content

Michael Vick Becomes NFL's All-Time Leading Rusher Amongst Quarterbacks

In last weekend's game against the Buffalo Bills, Philadelphia Eagles' quarterback, Michael Vick, became the all-time leading rusher amongst NFL quarterbacks, surpassing Randall Cunningham's mark of 4,928 yards with 4,946 (and plenty more to come, I'm sure).

Looking back at Vick's career to this point, the guy has been hampered by injuries, but statistically speaking, it's pretty impressive what he's been able to accomplish with all those injuries and the jail sentence. In 84 career starts, Vick has amassed 15,945 passing yards and 101 touchdowns, to go along with 4,948 rushing yards and 32 touchdowns for a total of 20,893 yards and 133 touchdowns. Vick has played a total of 5.25 seasons and has averaged the following per 16-game season: 3,037.1 yards passing, 19.2 touchdowns through the air, 942.5 rushing yards and 6.1 touchdowns on the ground for a combined average of 3,979.6 yards per season to go along with 25.3 touchdowns.

For his career, Vick is currently ranked 122nd all-time in passing yards, but by season's end (health permitting), should be just outside the top 100, alongside the likes of Jim McMahon. He'll need this year and perhaps next to start seeing some more prominent names not far ahead of him, like Roger Staubach (ranked 76), Archie Manning (ranked 67) and Bart Starr (ranked 61). He may need 2+ seasons before he is close to Manning and Starr.

Rushing wise, Vick is ranked 121st all-time, trailing Gale Sayers by 8 yards. If he gains 16 yards or more on the ground in his next game, Vick will move up from 121 to 116. When all is said and done, Vick will likely rank in the top 100 in both all-time passing and rushing yards by the end of this season or the start of next. When his career is complete, he could very easily wind up in the top 50 or 75 in both, a feat that will never have been accomplished before. Given the fact he's the all-time leading rusher amongst quarterbacks, every yard he gains and every player he passes in the rankings will be a first in NFL history. While the guy has been prone to injury and made some horrendous decisions off-the-field, I think it's safe to say, just via statistics alone, the NFL has never seen a player like Michael Vick before.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...