Skip to main content

A gay family in a commercial sparks outrage. By the way, the patriotic song in the commercial was written by a lesbian...

Not only has the new Coca-Cola commercial sparked outrage amongst conservatives due to "America the Beautiful" being sung by Americans in different languages, a gay couple featured in the commercial has also had a similar affect.

Here are some of the tweets regarding this portion of the commercial:

- "Apparently, Coke had a gay couple in their super bowl commercial too. Appeasement much?"

- "Holy cow did I just see a gay couple in a commercial which also mentions god? Way to go coke"

- "While tweeting my hate of #coke cause of the language thing, I missed the gay dads part. What, no time to show an abortion too? #dickheads"

The ironic part about all of this is the fact that the writer of the song "America the Beautiful" is Katharine Lee Bates, who happened to live with Katharine Coman for 25 years. After Coman passed away, Bates published a collection of poems about her former "partner." That's right - the writer of "America the Beautiful" was a lesbian. So, while these people are up in arms about this commercial featuring a gay couple while the song "America the Beautiful" is sung, they should remind themselves that the writer of the song was gay, before likely feeling knots form in their stomachs, and mumbling, "I've sung a song about America written by a gay person? Oh, no! I have to go shower for a few hours, pray for forgiveness while doing this, and then go to confession at least once a day for the next year! I'm sorry, Jesus! Please forgive me, but not that sick gay woman who wrote 'America the Beautiful.' Amen."

http://hollywoodlife.com/2014/02/03/coca-cola-super-bowl-commercial-2014-gay-couple-hateful-tweets/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/03/coke-commercial-gay-family_n_4717635.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...