Skip to main content

Dick Cheney gets unintentionally ironic

I've long believed that the U.S. should make some rather significant cuts to its military budget and finally, it appears as if the Obama administration is about to propose just that. Of course, Darth Vader stunt-double Dick Cheney doesn't agree with these proposed cuts, as he made it known on Fox News yesterday, when he said this:

"They peddle this line that now we're going to pivot to Asia, but they've never justified it. And I think the whole thing is not driven by any change in world circumstances, it's driven by budget considerations. He'd much rather spend the money on food stamps than he would on a strong military or support for our troops."

Cheney's commentary here is extremely ironic, because many military families depend on governmental assistance (you know - food stamps) to get by from week to week.

As the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities wrote in a recent analysis, "Nationwide, in any given month, a total of 900,000 veterans nationwide lived in households that relied on SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) to provide food for their families in 2011."

In 2013, it was found that military families relied on food stamps more than in any other year, as they spent over $100 million in food stamps at military grocery stores.

So, I find it highly ironic that Dick Cheney and his like are claiming that by cutting the military budget and providing more governmental assistance through SNAP, it is an indicator that President Obama doesn't support our troops. On the contrary, he and his administration are attempting to lighten soldiers' load overseas and provide more assistance for them when they come back home. If that's not supporting the troops, I don't know what is.

http://thinkprogress.org/world/2014/02/25/3326491/cheney-lashes-obama-hits-veterans-food-stamps/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...