Skip to main content

"Democrats lack diversity!"

Following the first Democratic debate on Tuesday night, I can't tell you how many times I've heard conservative commentators utter this line: "I thought Democrats were the party of diversity! Republicans are the ones with diversity! If anyone is lacking in diversity, it's the Democrats!"

Of course, this is with regard to just the presidential candidates, which supposedly reflect the parties at large. Suffice it to say, this couldn't be further from the truth. Granted, the Democratic candidates are comprised of four white men and one white woman, while the Republican candidates include: two Latino-American men, one white woman, one African-American man, one Indian-American man, and seemingly countless white men. So, if we simply want to grade the two parties' diversity on the presidential candidates, surely the Republican Party would be the more diverse of the two. However, that's missing the forest for the trees.

In the House of Representatives, Democrats hold 188 seats, just 78 of which are white men (41.5%). There are 78 Democratic minorities in the House (41.5%) and just 12 Republican minorities out of their 246 seats (4.9%). Not only that, but in both houses of Congress, there are 81 Democratic minorities (34.6%) and just 16 Republican minorities (5.3%). When it comes to gender diversity, the Democratic Party has 65 women House members (34.6%) compared to 23 for the Republican Party (9.3%). In both chambers of Congress, there are 79 Democratic women (33.8%) and 29 Republican women (9.7%). So in Congress, over 1 in 3 Democrats are minorities and over 1 in 3 are women, whereas 1 in 20 Republicans are minorities and less than 1 in 10 are women. For Republicans to claim their party is the party of diversity and the Democratic Party is the one lacking it is almost comical, it's so ridiculous.

Not only that, but more importantly, Democratic ideals tend to be far kinder to minorities and women than Republican ideals. There's a reason why Republicans haven't won the woman's vote since Ronald Reagan was in office and why minorities tend to vote Democratic, African-Americans in particular (at least 90% or more). Democrats are typically in favor of: Immigration reform, police reform, prison reform, reproductive rights, equal pay for equal work, voter expansion, welfare programs, healthcare reform, gun control, etc., whereas Republicans are typically against all such ideas.

So whenever a conservative tries declaring that the Republican Party is the more diverse of the two parties, remember these numbers and laugh hysterically in their face, before saying, "That's a good one!" and walking away.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/breakdown-114th-congress-demographics-gender

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...