Skip to main content

GOP provides a gay marriage-gun violence link

Following the seemingly countless mass shootings and President Obama's call to strengthen the nation's gun laws, the Republican Party, led by former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee, has come out with an answer to gun violence. Earlier today, Huckabee led the effort by providing the following video clip on his campaign website:

"As you all know, I'm a very devoted Christian man. I firmly believe the Bible is the ultimate source of truth. I'm also a firm believer in the Constitution, especially the 2nd Amendment. When I'm having a great day, I'm usually holding a rifle in one hand and a Bible in the other. Even though I'm a lover of guns and Jesus probably wasn't much of a sportsman, the thing Jesus loved yet despised even more than guns was gay people. In Leviticus, Jesus even said, 'Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve,' and this brings me to the real answer, the real reason why we're seeing so many of these mass shootings. It's because this country has embraced the homosexual lifestyle, and same-sex marriage in particular. Even though these shootings happened long before the Supreme Court's ruling on same-sex marriage, making it legal nationwide, it's because of this very ruling these shootings are happening now. ...and don't give me any of that nonsense that guns are actually shooting and killing people. When someone gets shot and killed by a gun, it's not the bullet from the gun that ultimately kills the person; it's the fact Adam and Steve can now legally be married, God is angry, and being the benevolent creator he is, wants someone to get shot and killed for it. I'm telling you, unless we overturn the Supreme Court's decision on same-sex marriage, we're going to continue to see these mass shootings. Guns don't kill people; Adam and Steve kill people!"

In response, the Human Rights Campaign released this statement:

"Devastating storms are caused by homosexuality, not global warming, and gun violence is caused by same-sex marriage and not guns? God sure granted the LGBT community with a great deal of power, didn't he? With that kind of logic, Wendy Davis' three divorces were the fault of the LGBT community, as was the case of Mike Huckabee's son killing a dog. Perhaps the outspoken candidate should rephrase his bumper-sticker slogan from 'Guns don't kill people; Adam and Steve kill people!' to 'David Huckabee doesn't kill dogs; wait, I guess he does.'"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...