Skip to main content

We need to put the kibosh on the caucus

There are a number of things which don't make a great deal of sense to me when it comes to the election process in this country. First off, the electoral college. How can we say every vote counts when Al Gore won the popular vote in the 2000 general election, yet lost due to the fact George W. Bush received more votes than him in the state of Florida (all the votes that were counted anyway)? Secondly, there's the Democratic superdelegates. Every person has the right to vote, so why should some votes be tallied as greater than others? Not only should we do away with superdelegates, we should also put the kibosh on caucuses.

In the run up to the 2008 general election, I was fortunate enough to participate in my first caucus, as I cast my vote for Barack Obama in Nebraska. Due to the fact it was my first time at such an event, it was a fascinating and educational experience for me, yet I hope to never have to experience it again. As a matter of fact, I think each and every state should hold primaries as opposed to caucuses. Here are my reasons why:

- Time constraints: Caucuses are time-consuming events which require participants to sacrifice an entire afternoon (sometimes evening) in order to make their political voices heard. This typically results in decreased voter participation.

- Lack of privacy: While it's becoming more common for people to make their votes publicly known, not everyone has followed that trend, and there is typically a sense of privacy when voting on election day. That's anything but the case at a caucus, which could be another reason why voter turnout tends to be inferior at caucuses than primaries.

- Unrepresentative: Due to all of the limitations that come with caucuses, it limits voter turnout, and with that leaves the final results quite prone to being unrepresentative of the population as a whole.

Yes, caucuses can be interesting, even fun experiences, but they shouldn't be used as a means of selecting the leader of our country. Every voice deserves the opportunity of being heard in the electoral process, and going to an all-primary format would without question increase voting numbers in the run-up to the general election. Yes, we need to put the kibosh on the caucus!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...