Skip to main content

Douche of the Day: Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones

On March 14th, the NFL finally came forward in admitting the link between playing football and chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), as, when asked by Representative Jan Schakowsky (D-IL) if there was such a link, NFL senior vice president for health and safety, Jeff Miller, responded by saying, "The answer to that question is certainly yes."

Not everyone's on board with this admission, however. Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, during a speech he gave at the NFL owners meetings in Boca Raton, Florida on Tuesday, said the following about the matter:

"We don't have that knowledge and background, and scientifically, so there's no way in the world to say you have a relationship relative to anything here. There's no research. There's no data. ... We're not disagreeing. We're just basically saying the same thing. We're doing a lot more. It's the kind of thing that you want to work ... to prevent injury."

When asked if he believes there's a link between playing football and CTE, Jones responded with this:

"No, that's absurd. There's no data in any way creates a knowledge. There's no way that you could have made a comment that there is an association and some type of assertion. In most things, you have to back it up by studies. And in this particular case, we all know how medicine is. Medicine is evolving. I grew up being told that aspirin was not good. I'm told that one a day is good for you. ... I'm saying that changed over the years as we've had more research and knowledge.

So we are very supportive of the research. ... We have for years been involved in trying to make it safer, safer as it pertains to head injury. We have millions of people that have played this game, have millions of people that are at various ages right now that have no issues at all. None at all. So that's where we are. That didn't alter at all what we're doing about it. We're gonna do everything we can to understand it better and make it safer."

No studies? No data? Seriously?!? Perhaps Jerry missed the study Frontline published last year. The study was conducted by the Department of Veterans Affairs and Boston University. It found that of the 91 deceased NFL players the researchers analyzed, 87 of them tested positive for CTE (or 95.6%).

As VA Boston Healthcare System chief of neuropathology, Dr. Ann McKee, told Frontline following the release of the study, "[CTE] is a very real disease."

She added:

"People think that we're blowing this out of proportion, that this is a very rare disease and that we're sensationalizing it. My response is that where I sit, this is a very real disease. We have had no problem identifying it in hundreds of players."

I love football, but I can't for one second deny the indisputable link between participating in the sport and CTE. Given Jones' comments denying this link, expect him to utter the following lines in the future:

- "I honestly don't think we have enough information to prove whether or not smoking is bad for you. I mean, I smoked for I don't know how long and look at me. :: suffers a coughing fit :: Sorry about that. I don't know what that was all about. Anyway, where was I?"

- "When the sun's out and it's still cold, I really have to wonder if the sun is actually warm, you know? I think we need more data before fully concluding on the mater."

- "Gravity? I don't know. I haven't fully come down one way or the other on that whole thing."

Yeah, after hearing Jerry Jones' recent comments, I think he should have probably preceded them by saying, "Linking football to CTE is absurd! It's also unproven that thought enters my mind before I open my mouth. We need more data."

Actually, I'm not sure we do. Congratulations, Mr. Jones! You've earned my Douche of the Day Award!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15047068/jerry-jones-says-not-convinced-link-cte-football

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/new-87-deceased-nfl-players-test-positive-for-brain-disease/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...