Skip to main content

Earth to Trumpsters: About that jobs report...

For whatever reason, the release of the latest jobs report has Donald Trump and his supporters breakdancing at a roller rink. For May 2018, it's being estimated that 223,000 jobs were added and that the unemployment rate has dropped to 3.8%. Those are both very good numbers, but while I'm sorry to have to inform the president and his minions, this jobs report was not a direct reflection of Trump's decision-making and policies. As a matter of fact, it had about as much to do with that as heroin has in increasing 9-to-5 job efficiency.

Donald Trump and his supporters either can't remember anything past 5 seconds ago, are incredibly stupid, or a combination of the two.

The unemployment rate was 4.7% when Donald Trump took over the reigns. With the UE rate now being at 3.8%, that's a 19.15% decrease. At the height of the recession, while Barack Obama was in office, the unemployment rate was at an astounding 10.0%. So, as the UE rate was 4.7% when Trump stepped into the Oval Office, it decreased a whopping 53% under Obama, roughly three times that of Trump.

In the final full month before Barack Obama took over for then President Bush (12/08), 707,000 jobs in this country were lost. In May of 2010, 16 full months later, 522,000 jobs were added - a difference of 1,229,000 jobs. In the final full month before Donald Trump took over for Obama, 180,000 jobs were added. Sixteen months later, that total increased to 223,000, a difference of 43,000.

Not only that, but in Obama's final full 16 months in office, 3,281,000 jobs were created (205,063 p/month). In Trump's first full 16 months, 2,966,000 jobs were created (185,375 p/month). 

Lastly, the wage growth was at its lowest in May of 2010, at 1.6%. This increased to 3.9% in November of 2016. Meanwhile, the range has been between 2.9% and 3.6% since Donald Trump became president.

So let's break this down even further:

Unemployment Rate
Where Obama started: 10.0%
When Obama ended up: 4.7%
Change: -53.0%

Where Trump started: 4.7%
Where Trump is currently: 3.8%
Change: -19.2%

Difference: Obama: -33.8%


16-Month Job Check-up Point
Obama: +1,229,000
Trump: +43,000

Difference: Obama: +1,186,000 (43,000 is just 3.5% of 1,229,000)


Job Creation
Obama: 3,281,000
Trump: 2,966,000

Difference: Obama: +315,000


Wage Increase
Obama: 143.8% (from 1.6% to 3.9%)
Trump: 24.4% (from 2.9% to 3.6%)

Difference: Obama: +119.4%


This most recent jobs report shows nothing other than the fact Donald Trump is riding Barack Obama's coattails. Obama was handed a recession, the hardest hitting recession since the Great Depression. Trump was handed a recovered and strengthening economy. Just look at the numbers and try telling me with a straight face Donald Trump has done more to help this country economically than Barack Obama. Go ahead. I haven't heard a good joke in a while and could use a laugh.

https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/CES0000000001?output_view=net_1mth

https://www.frbatlanta.org/chcs/wage-growth-tracker?panel=1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...