Skip to main content

Is this really the America we want to be living in?

Not long ago, the Supreme Court ruled in favor of a Colorado baker who refused to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple due to his religious beliefs. In the past 24 hours, it was reported that Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders was asked to leave a Virginia restaurant due to her affiliation with the Trump administration. Since that time, members on Yelp, who have never experienced the restaurant, posted reviews based on their political beliefs. My question to all the before-mentioned parties is, is this really the America we want to be living in?

I don't think the Supreme Court realizes what a mess they may have made with their bakery ruling. Can we now just refuse service to any person we may not agree with in one area or another? The Constitution may allow us to believe as we so choose, but the law is supposed to successfully counter any prejudices we may have and provide equality to all as a result. The baker may not personally agree with the morality of gay marriage, and that's fine, but it's his job to serve his customers equally. The restaurant's owner may not personally agree with what the Trump administration stands for, and once again, that's fine, but it's her job to serve her customers equally. At least, this is what I thought prior to the Supreme Court's bakery ruling.

Where do we go from here? Are liberal Democrats and conservative Republicans who ardently support their parties and causes through what they wear now at risk of not being served at establishments where management disagrees with them? Is the United States of America now becoming so divided that we're at risk of becoming the North and the South again? With all the greed and misinformation flying around, how is it we can come together, at least to the point where we're all seen and treated as equals under the law? If this is the America you want to live in, so be it, but if that's the case, you can't genuinely sing that the home of the brave is the land of the free.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...