Skip to main content

With "Quantico," political correctness has gone too far

I'm often a defender of political correctness. When it comes right down to it, political correctness can be defined as, "Trying not to be an as*hole." However, there are times that political correctness goes too far even for me. The controversy surrounding a recent episode of the ABC show Quantico is the latest such example.

Aired this past week, the episode The Blood of Romero generated controversy due to its storyline which revolved around Indian terrorists plotting an attack in Manhattan and then blaming Pakistan for it. Star of the show, Priyanka Chopra, is of Indian descent, and was singled out by many on social media, as fans wondered how she could have partaken in such an episode. ABC has since apologized for the episode, while depending Ms. Chopra.

I'm sorry, but really? Quantico is a work of fiction. Priyanka Chopra isn't a writer of the series; she's an actress. So how is she getting blamed for the episode and why is there a controversy at all? As sad as it is to say, terrorism can and does happen in every part of the world. It occurs in India, the United States, Europe, Africa, etc. It's been committed by self-described Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Jews, atheists, etc. Pick a location or a demographic and I can guarantee you I'll find an act of terror committed on that very soil or by a member of that very group. If a show touches a nerve when it comes to a fictionalized terror plot, perhaps we should be asking why and focusing more attention on the realities it may have unintentionally symbolized than on the show itself.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/abc-apologizes-controversial-quantico-episode-1118372

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...