Skip to main content

In light of healthcare ruling, what does Romney do?

Make no mistake about it, I'm voting for Barack Obama in November. If Mitt Romney were the same guy he passed himself off as Governor of Massachusetts, I'd give him a fair listen and would consider voting for the guy. I would still likely vote for Obama, but this time around, I'm not even going to consider voting for Romney. He's now owned by the far-right. He's flip-flopped more times than Richard Pryor cursed. I just can't take him seriously, because I have no idea what to believe - which Mitt Romney is he?

In light of the Supreme Court's healthcare ruling today, I heard many talking heads (a good chunk of them Republicans) say they'd recommend Romney go after Obamacare and say his first order of business is to repeal it (GOP would need 60 votes in the Senate, so that's not going to happen). I personally think it'd be pretty stupid for Romney to do this. While the economy has stabilized under President Obama, it has not improved dramatically, especially in the past two months. Granted, a lot of this is due to Republicans in Congress doing all in their power to make the president look bad and assure him just one-term in office. However, if Romney were smart, he'd take about that first and foremost. Sure, some far-right Republicans may be quite angered and energized to go out and vote due to the Supreme Court's decision, yet let's be serious here - Romneycare laid out the basic outline for Obamacare. Video was released today of Romney speaking back in 2006 fully supporting the individual mandate for the state of Massachusetts, saying it'd, among other things, bring down prices (which it has). How in the world will Independents or Reagan Democrats watch/listen to that and take Romney seriously about his vow to repeal healthcare reform? Also, it's just not a winning strategy/motto. While the economy is still struggling, it'd be pretty dumb for a candidate (Romney in this case) to run on taking away people's healthcare reform, especially with, like I said, him being such a vocal proponent of it not too long ago and even passing such a bill in Massachusetts. So yeah, Mitt, just talk about healthcare reform...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...