Skip to main content

My Fantasy Baseball Team Might Be Cursed

No, I doubt anybody cares, but a guy can vent about his fantasy baseball team, right? Right. Also, I just find it kind of humorous.

So, overall, my team is around .500 and I'm even shocked by that. I had the first pick in the draft and took Los Angeles Dodgers' outfielder Matt Kemp. Early in the season, it looked like a genius move, as the guy has hit .355 with 12 home runs and 28 RBIs...but in just 36 games. The Dodgers have played 64 to this date. The guy was an early MVP candidate, but after two stints on the disabled list with hamstring problems, he's been anything but dynamite for me in the long-term. Then there's do-everything guy Emilio Bonifacio of the Miami Marlins. Before he went to the DL, he led the league in stolen bases and his bat was finally coming around. He's been out for a while and isn't expected back until just after the all-star break. Atlanta Braves' catcher, Brian McCann was out for a week not long ago with the flu and is only finally starting to get his swing back it appears. Michael Cuddyer and Adrian Beltre have been injured this year. Angel Pagan is battling something right now. Shane Victorino has fought nagging injuries. Jose Reyes had underachieved until just recently (similar to Brandon Phillips). Paul Konerko hasn't been fully healthy. My only guys that have been healthy and consistent have been St. Louis catcher Yadier Molina (that's a surprise) and Angels' utility slugger Mark Trumbo. Molina, being a catcher, has days to rest where other players wouldn't. That's just my offense. If my team were healthy, I'd be loaded:

C Molina and McCann
1B Konerko, Cuddyer and Trumbo
2B Phillips, Cuddyer and Kyle Seager of Seattle
3B Beltre, Bonifacio, Trumbo and Seager
SS Reyes, Bonifacio and Seager
OF Kemp, Victorino, Cuddyer, Bonifacio, Trumbo and Pagan

As far as pitching goes, Doug Fister of the Tigers is on the DL for the second time. Cliff Lee of Philly has thrown great, but is winless. Anibal Sanchez of the Marlins has thrown very well, but has had rotten run support also. Ricky Romero has been the opposite, where his numbers haven't been stellar, but is getting the wins. Jake Peavy and Andy Pettitte have been pretty solid. Wandy Rodriguez of Houston started out great, but has struggled a bit recently. Josh Johnson started off terribly, but has come on of late. Tommy Hanson and Daniel Hudson have been horribly inconsistent. Brandon McCarthy of Oakland has been stellar when healthy, but his health is always a question mark. Again, if my guys were healthy, the pitching would be great as well.

Not only that, but I've had to laugh at some of my matchups. Last week, I played the last-place team, who belted 13 home runs for the week - the high for the league. This week, I'm pitching lights out, but am getting outpitched by my opponent, who through 30+ innings, has struck out 40 guys and only walked 4 - an incredible 10 : 1 strikeout to walk ratio. Yeah, like I said, I just have to laugh anymore...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...