Skip to main content

A fitting end to the year...

As we head toward New Year's, like a lot of people, I can't help but reflect on the past year, and I almost have to chuckle at the fact I'm ill at the moment, because 2014 has been anything but a smile-inducing year for me, and unlike a lot of years, I can't wait for the clock to strike midnight in a couple of nights to symbolize that one chapter, no matter how trying, is over, and there can be hope for the chapter(s) ahead.

The year was fairly uneventful until the month of May. I released four new books. I was mentally exhausted at that point, yet my spirits were high. I felt a new sense of hope for my literary future. My mind had been clicking more/better than at any other point in my life. I finally felt ready to go in full marketing mode, and that's when that mental exhaustion was met by a series of unfortunate events, which left me emotionally and physically exhausted as well. My girlfriend of two years and I decided it was best to part ways. A couple of days later, my dog of 13 years was diagnosed with cancer and had to be put down. Not long after that, I got physically assaulted and verbally threatened by someone whom shall remain nameless, before deciding to report the matter to the proper authorities. While life has settled down in the months since then, those events have stuck with me to a certain extent, and as it's late on the evening of December 29th, I'm counting down to midnight two nights from now more than any previous year.

Technically speaking, New Year's Day doesn't mean a great deal. It's just the symbolism of the day that's of such great importance to so many people. No matter how much pain or heartbreak one many have endured in a calendar year, we can all mentally, emotionally, and physically start over again. We can set goals for ourselves to achieve in order to improve our livelihoods. We can take a collective deep breath and say to ourselves, "It was a tough year, but we survived, and this year will be better." So, like I hope this cold I'm fighting fades into the distance as the new year approaches, I hope all our troubles, pains, and heartaches from this past year fade into the distance as well, and are replaced smiles, laughs, and successes. Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...