Skip to main content

A poem in response to the Michael Brown and Eric Garner rulings

I'm frankly getting fed up with hearing about all of these stories concerning white cops killing unarmed black men, and then hearing people's defense of the cops (including the cops themselves), as they resort to stereotypes, fallacies, and dehumanization as a means for excuse. So, in response to this, and in conjunction with a building rage inside of myself, I've decided to resort to writing a poem regarding matters.

Black Lives Matter

Don't wear a hoodie,
Even if it's raining,
Always bring an umbrella,
Even though no one else does,

Don't wear baggy pants,
Where guns can be lodged,
Even though that's a myth,
So says Snopes.com,

Don't put your hands in your pockets,
Even when it's cold and snowing,
Don't wear a coat either,
That might worry people too,

Don't wear anything nice,
That may make people wonder,
"Did he rob a store?"
"Is that what he did with welfare?"

Don't drive a nice car,
As that will get the lights flashing,
"Are you sure this is your vehicle?"
"I'm going to need to see license and registration,"

Don't listen to rap,
For it will just lead to violence,
Just like listening to fairy tales,
They always lead to happiness,

Don't go out at night,
Don't go out during the day,
Don't pay with cash,
Don't act overly friendly,

Blindly accept that we're all equals,
That this is a post-racial society,
Due to one half-black president,
After we elected 43 white ones,

Still being seen as a threat,
Based on the color of one's skin,
Seeing guilt before shown evidence,
Their lives seen as less important,

Unarmed and choking,
"I can't breathe," he says,
As the nation watches,
Many unaffected,

As his heart stopped,
So too did many's empathy,
Their conscience,
Their humanity,

Punished for who they are,
Punished for what they wear,
Punished out of prejudice,
Punished out of nonsensical fear,

Black lives matter,
Just like everyone else's,
Deserving of equal rights,
Deserving of equal treatment,

It's time to rise up,
Let our voices be heard,
That cops aren't above the law,
That black lives matter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...