Skip to main content

Conflict-avoidance only makes things worse

I've known many people I could describe as being conflict-avoidant. This includes: Friends, family, exes, even myself a few years ago. Granted, I don't know too many people whom would ever stand up and proudly declare, "You know what I love more than anything else? Nope, not football, not beer, not pizza. I love conflicts!" However, what many conflict-avoidant individuals don't seem to realize is that by avoiding conflicts to avoid stress and drama, they're making the situation more stressful for themselves, and as the tension escalates over time, when the conflict is finally confronted, the stress and drama may be at such a boiling point that it will be virtually impossible to fully resolve the conflict. Conflict-avoidance is not the same as conflict-resolution. In fact, by being conflict-avoidant, one is essentially avoiding resolution.

When one sits down and thinks about it, it's all fairly common sense. It's like with personal problems. If one doesn't admit they have a problem, say with smoking, how will they then get over said problem? As it's always been said, the first step to solving a problem is admitting one exists. The same is true when it comes to conflicts regarding two or more people. If someone doesn't admit the problem out in the open with the other present, how will the two solve said problem?

I know one may think it's "easier" to keep these conflicts and confrontations bottled up so the other(s) doesn't (don't) know about them and to avoid potential drama. However, just because this person doesn't admit what's on his or her mind to the other doesn't make the problem go away. It will still linger in their mind. They'll continue to worry about the issue, with the level of worry likely escalating as time progresses, and this will result in added stress for the person. It then often times reaches a point where the conflict-avoidant individual can't bottle things up any longer, and since they've wanted to talk about matters for such a long time and their stress and worry have escalated as a result, they essentially blow up at the person. This results in a higher level of drama than would have occurred had the person been confronted on the matter at an earlier point. What may have once been a potentially small conflict and confrontation blows up into a conflict and confrontation so large, it is often times difficult for the people involved in it to fully recover.

So, when it comes to conflicts and confrontations, I know they're not fun, but when such a situation arises, try not to think of it as causing drama by admitting a problem exists. Try to think of it as discussing a matter with a person (you likely care about) in order to solve a problem and improve the relationship. The relationship will be stuck through conflict-avoidance. It will only progress if the people are fully honest with one another and attempt resolve any conflicts which may exist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...