Skip to main content

Donald Trump's disturbing comments regarding sexual harassment

In light of the Roger Ailes (of Fox News) - sexual harassment controversy that's been swirling the airwaves over the past couple of weeks, Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump has weighed in on the matter, saying this:

"Some of the women that are complaining, I know how much he's helped them... And when they write books...and say wonderful things about him... Now, all of a sudden, they're saying these horrible things about him."

and

"There was quite a bit of fabulous things said [about Ailes by Gretchen Carlson]. It would be easier for me and more politically correct for me to say you are right. But you would think she wouldn't say those things... "I didn't know it was more than just her."

Then, when he was asked about his daughter Ivanka hypothetically being sexually harassed at work, Trump said, "I would like to think she would find another career or find another company if that was the case."

There are numerous reasons why I found Donald Trump's comments to be disturbing (to put it lightly), but I'll focus in on two: 1) The blaming-the-victim mentality and 2) The white-privilege mentality.

Trump appears to cast doubt on all the Fox News employees whom alleged that Roger Ailes acted inappropriately with/around them. He also seems to provide excuses for Mr. Ailes even if he were guilty of sexual harassment at the workplace. "Well, even if he did do these things, he did so much to help these women professionally, it's not that big a deal."

Secondly, most working women aren't as well off as Trump and his family, so they can't quit one job and find another without facing significant financial (and living) risks. Also, in this hypothetical scenario, his daughter Ivanka is the victim. Why should she, the victim, feel forced to leave her job and not the perpetrator of the crime?

No person, regardless of gender, should have to deal with sexual harassment at the workplace, and if they do, shouldn't feel the need to leave their job, when they're the victim and the perpetrator of the horrendous act gets off scot-free. Having said all that, however, it really is a shame The Donald doesn't take his own advice, leave this company (country) and move to another one...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2016/08/01/ailes-trump-sexual-harassment-fox-news-women-gretchen-kelly-greta-news-column/87915454/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...