Skip to main content

"How to Stretch the Truth" - brought to you by Donald Trump and his followers

After Khizr and Ghazala Khan's emotional speech in honor of their deceased son, Captain Humayun Khan, at the Democratic National Convention, Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump would have been smart to just let things go. Of course, that's not his style, and he felt the need to respond, by saying the following:

"If you look at his wife [Ghazala Khan], she was standing there. She had nothing to say. She probably, maybe she wasn't allowed to have anything to say. You tell me."

and

"I've made a lot of sacrifices. I work very, very hard. I've created thousands and thousands of jobs, tens of thousands of jobs, built great structures. I've had tremendous success. I think I've done a lot."

First off, you don't call a mother out for being quiet in front of a microphone when having to relive the loss of her son who died in a war. Secondly, you don't compare your business sacrifices to a soldier that lost their life or a family who lost their child in the field of battle. Not only is that insensitive, but frankly, it's stupid. Who, with even half a conscience or brain, would even think about saying such things? No one that I know...

Of course, as has often been the case, when Donald Trump gets called out for saying or doing something stupid, he and his supporters deflect the blame elsewhere. In this case, they've deflected the blame over to the Democratic Party for "using" the family of a slain soldier to score political points. Yes, that's their angle. Let's back up a second here and look at a series of events chronologically:

1) Republican President George W. Bush and his administration send us to war under false pretenses

2) Captain Humayun Khan gets killed in this war (2004)

3) 2016 Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump calls for at least a temporary ban of Muslims traveling to this country

4) Khizr and Ghazala Khan speak at the Democratic National Convention, decrying the wars and Trump's call for a temporary ban of Muslims entering this country

5) Trump, in turn, criticizes the Khans

Trumpeteers' conclusion: The only demographic which should feel ashamed of itself is the Democratic Party for using a fallen soldier's family to score political points.

Let's look at the before-mentioned events again...

Who lied us into war? A Republican president and administration

Under whose watch did Captain Kahn die? A Republican president and administration

Who called for at least a temporary ban of Muslims? A Republican presidential nominee

Who criticized a Muslim-American family that lost a child in the war? A Republican presidential nominee

Yet it's the Democratic Party that should feel ashamed of itself? That's such a stretch, it's like Richard Simmons spandex on steroids! If the Bush Administration didn't lie us into war, Humayun Kahn would still be alive. If Donald Trump didn't call for a temporary banning of Muslims, he wouldn't get called out on it. If he hadn't have criticized the Kahn family, once again, he wouldn't have been called out for it. I think it's high past time the party of "accountability" finally took some personal responsibility, instead of deflecting the blame elsewhere. Mr. Trump, you may firmly believe that the Khans "viciously attacked" you, yet you're still alive and breathing; their son was viciously attacked and can't say the same thing.

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/30/12332922/donald-trump-khan-muslim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...