Skip to main content

How to help those affected by Hurricane Harvey

It's being reported that Hurricane Harvey will go down as the costliest such storm in this country's history at approximately $160 billion. Millions have already been raised, blood has been drawn, thousands upon thousands of people are attempting to do all they can to help the recovery-and-rebuilding process in Houston, Texas and surrounding areas. While, as sad as it is to say, we should all be on the lookout for scams, here is a list of reputable and trusted organizations to which you can donate your time and money to this cause. No matter if you live in the area and want to volunteer some of your time, you have some old clothes you'd be willing to part ways with, or you are able to donate even just $1, every little bit helps.

American Red Cross ($10 donation minimum): https://go.crowdrise.com/donate/project/arc-hurricane-harvey-relief/americanredcross?scode=RSG00000E017&utm_campaign=Harvey&gclid=Cj0KCQjw557NBRC9ARIsAHJvVVOuUs039DGadUBwjCNB_2ctt8cPVadXQdGJS-b8YQJlbh5lDxoorTkaAtSGEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMy326nkgdYCFc8UgQodfgIFTg

Texting: You can also donate $10 to the Red Cross by texting HARVEY to 90999 (http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/08/hurricane_harvey_how_to_help_h.html)

Locals: If you live in Texas, here's a list of places at which you can drop off donations - http://www.houstonemergency.org/donations-drop-off/

Houston Food Bank: http://www.houstonfoodbank.org/

Food Bank of Corpus Christi: http://www.foodbankcc.com/

The South Texas Blood and Tissue Center: https://southtexasblood.org/harvey

Carter BloodCare: http://www.carterbloodcare.org/ (you can also donate by texting DONATE4LIFE to 444-999)

The Houston Humane Society: http://www.houstonhumane.org/

The San Antonio Humane Society: https://sahumane.org/

The Houston Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals: http://www.houstonspca.org/

Texas Diaper Bank: http://www.texasdiaperbank.org/

The United Way of Greater Houston: https://www.unitedwayhouston.org/flood

The LGBTQ Disaster Relief Fund: https://my.reason2race.com/DNicol/HurricaneHarveyLGBTQDisasterReliefFund2017

AmeriCares: https://secure.americares.org/site/Donation2;jsessionid=00000000.app250b?df_id=22191&mfc_pref=T&22191.donation=form1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8NHi1df61QIVHLbACh2VIgrUEAAYAiAAEgIK2fD_BwE&NONCE_TOKEN=D667E9715D23E1240570F3A751C2AC23

Catholic Charities: https://catholiccharities.org/donate-now-and-help-our-neighbors-recover-from-disaster/

Direct Relief: https://www.directrelief.org/emergency/hurricane-harvey-response/

Matthew 25: Ministries: http://m25m.org/disaster/harvey17/

Salvation Army: https://disaster.salvationarmyusa.org/ (you can also text STORM to 51555)

Save the Children: http://www.savethechildren.org/site/c.8rKLIXMGIpI4E/b.9534789/k.9D36/Hurricane_Harvey.htm

AABB (for blood donations): http://www.aabb.org/press/Pages/pr170827.aspx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...