Skip to main content

ESPN's QBR stat is hogwash

I know I've written about this before, but it bears repeating, ESPN's QBR stat is hogwash.

There's a reason no other sports network or publication ever talks about a player's QBR. It's such appalling trash, garbage-people won't even pick it up on Wednesdays. 

Don't believe me? Think I'm exaggerating? Here's a current rundown of the bottom half of the league when it comes to ESPN's QBR rankings: 

17) Russell Wilson: 58.9 (65.9%, 16 TD, 4 INT, 8.5 ypa, 112.8 rating, 77 rush yards)
18) Aaron Rodgers: 57.6 (61.3%, 13 TD, 1 INT, 8.0 ypa, 100.4 rating, 116 rush yards)
19) Joe Flacco: 56.7 (61.1%, 12 TD, 6 INT, 6.6 ypa, 84.9 rating, 45 rush yards)
20) Jameis Winston: 56.1 (64.9%, 6 TD, 10 INT, 8.0 ypa, 74.7 rating, 109 rush yards, 1 TD)
21) Marcus Mariota: 54.8 (66.0%, 3 TD, 5 INT, 6.9 ypa, 78.5 rating, 185 rush yards, 1 TD)
22) Dak Prescott: 54.4 (62.1%, 8 TD, 4 INT, 6.9 ypa, 87.4 rating, 236 rush yards, 2 TDs)
23) Blake Bortles: 52.0 (60.3%, 10 TD, 8 INT, 7.0 ypa, 81.4 rating, 261 rush yards, 1 TD)
24) Alex Smith: 50.8 (63.2%, 8 TD, 2 INT, 6.8 ypa, 91.3 rating, 97 rush yards, 1 TD)
25) Derek Carr: 50.6 (72.0%, 10 TD, 8 INT, 7.8 ypa, 94.5 rating, 36 rush yards, 1 TD)
26) Case Keenum: 43.5 (63.9%, 10 TD, 10 INT, 7.3 ypa, 83.0 rating, 35 rush yards, 1 TD)
27) C.J. Beathard: 43.2 (60.4%, 8 TD, 7 INT, 6.5 ypa, 81.8 rating, 69 rush yards, 1 TD)
28) Eli Manning: 40.4 (68.3%, 8 TD, 6 INT, 7.5 ypa, 90.9 rating, 19 rush yards)
29) Josh Rosen: 38.1 (55.6%, 5 TD, 6 INT, 6.3 ypa, 69.9 rating, 48 rush yards)
30) Baker Mayfield: 36.1 (58.3%, 8 TD, 6 INT, 6.6 ypa, 78.9 rating, 91 rush yards)
31) Sam Darnold: 35.2 (55.2%, 11 TD, 10 INT, 6.8 ypa, 74.5 rating, 61 rush yards, 1 TD)
32) Ryan Tannehill: 32.3 (65.9%, 8 TD, 5 INT, 7.5 ypa, 92.9 rating, 91 rush yards)
33) Josh Allen: 30.0 (54.0%, 2 TD, 5 INT, 6.0 ypa, 61.8 rating, 155 rush yards, 3 TD)

Look at those numbers very carefully. Jameis Winston, who was suspended for the first three games of this season, is tied for the league lead in interceptions with 10. He has a 3:5 touchdown:interception ratio to his credit - the worst in all of football. Yet the guy is just two spots below Aaron Rodgers and three behind Russell Wilson, who have combined to throw 29 touchdowns while only being picked off 5 times - a ratio that's nearly 6:1? Really? Rodgers is only 1.5 points better than Winston? Wilson is just 2.8 points better than him? The passer rating, while imperfect, grades quarterbacks based on their accuracy, yards per attempt, and touchdown to interception ratio. According to this formula, Winston possesses a below-average score of 74.7, while Wilson and Rodgers possess elite numbers, at 112.8 and 100.4, respectively. So how in the world could anyone in their right mind place Winston directly below the two Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks? Is it his running skills? Wilson and Rodgers have an average of 96.5 yards on the ground to their credit, while Winston has 109. A couple yards per game is hardly worthy of the gap narrowing between these three players. So what is it, record? Winston is 1-2 in games started this year, which is worse than both Wilson (4-3) and Rodgers (3-3-1). When looking at quarterback rating, Jameis Winston ranks 30th, so how in the world is a guy that ranks 30th in that category, doesn't rush the ball like Michael Vick or Cam Newton, and loses more games than he wins ranked ten spots ahead of that mark? There's only one logical explanation: ESPN's QBR stat is hogwash.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...