Skip to main content

What I learned in Week 5 of the NFL season

In Week 5 of the NFL season, I learned that...

- ...former Boston Red Sox pitcher Tim Wakefield has asked Cleveland Browns kicker Greg Joseph for lessons on how to kick a knuckleball.

- ..., while Carolina Panthers kicker Graham Gano was handed a Get Laid Free card by the team's cheerleaders, Green Bay Packers kicker Mason Crosby will soon star in the film, The 34-Year-Old Born Again Virgin.

- ..., after turning the ball over five times against them, Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles has been announced as the Kansas City Chiefs Player of the Week.

- ..., after starting 2-3, former head coach Jimmy Johnson reportedly, in a drunken state, shouted, "How 'bout them Cowboys?," after singing "Save a Horse (Ride a Cowboy)" at a Fox Sports karaoke bash.

- ..., prior to Sunday night's game against the Houston Texans, Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott's biggest fear was clowns. Now it's Clowney.

- ..., after he threw 2 interceptions compared to 0 touchdown passes, Cris Collinsworth called Patrick Mahomes "unstoppable." Rumor has it, if Mahomes pulled a Blake Bortles and turned it over five times, Collinsworth would say, "I don't ever say this, but is that Tom Brady out there? I mean, seriously, this is just unbelievable!"

- ...the NFL has altered the saying "Rules are rules" to "What's this rule again? Are you sure? Didn't it change last week? What's your horoscope say?"

- ...Eli Manning is in jeopardy of being replaced by Odell Beckham, Jr. If that happens, chances are good he'll attempt to throw 20 passes per game to himself.

- ..., when the Tennessee Titans declared no one could win uglier, the Buffalo Bills told them to hold their Flying Bisons (a beer in Buffalo; Google it).

- ...the life of a kicker in the NFL is like a random, seemingly useless scene in a murder mystery film, for no matter how out of place they may seem at the time, they tend to help ultimately decide the outcome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...