Skip to main content

That was kind of freaky... Health scare not completely over yet, it seems...

I was ill from May 31st of 2009 until late-December of 2010. Upon my seemingly miraculous recovery, the doctors were still perplexed on what occurred, but came to the very uncertain conclusion that my symptoms were a result of a strange virus in conjunction with unusual side effects from taking a medication for too long and a slight case of small-fiber sensory neuropathy (a possible sighting of anteriovenous malformation or that my brain tumor was completely removed weren't ruled out either). 

I've been rather symptom-free for the past year and a half, but there have been two days, yesterday included, where some of the symptoms made their presence known once again. I still don't feel 100% right today, but definitely better than yesterday and since I've overcome this previously, am much more optimistic that I can get through this, regardless of how large a side (or back) step it might be. 

On the other side of things, feeling the symptoms again made me wonder what the deal is - if the virus (if that's what it was) is still breathing some life and if that's the case, when it will finally go extinct. It also made me wonder if the AVM or brain tumor were factors for those two years and if this will occur from time to time unless they can get taken care of. It's a scary, almost surreal feeling - deja vu like - when something like this occurs. It's quite an odd sensation to feel and know something is going wrong, yet not completely know what that something is, what can be done about it and if it will go away. I just hope that it was an aberration and doesn't make it's presence known again for some time, if ever. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...