Skip to main content

Trampling on our rights? Certainly. The GOP wishes to strip Americans of our right to vote

I find this to be rather amusing. Time after time, many Republicans in Congress (and elsewhere) clamor that the Democratic Party is trampling upon Americans' rights, civil liberties and freedoms (redundant, I know, but it seems to work for them). Yet now, some Republicans, including former Michigan Congressman (and running against Senator Debbie Stabenow in this year's election), Pete Hoekstra, are claiming that it's the state legislatures whom should select two senators from each state as opposed to the people through the act of voting.

Republican Representatives Jeff Flake, Todd Akin, Senator Mike Lee and Indiana state treasurer, Richard Mourdock have also called for the repeal of the 17th Amendment.

Mourdock, who is running for a Senate seat in Indiana, said the following - "The House of Representatives was there to represent the people. The Senate was there to represent the states."

That's right, ladies and gentleman, Democrats are the ones trampling over our rights by requiring us to purchase more insurance (healthcare this time, as is often the case in most industrialized countries), yet the Republican Party seems rather determined to strip hundreds of thousands to millions of people of their voting rights. Why is this? It's really quite simple. The Republican Party is aging more than a sumo wrestler eats. Their philosophy is older than a yet-born baby is young. So what they're trying to do is cut off as many people as possible of their voting rights, because the more people whom vote, the more likely it is the Democrats will win elections. It's no coincidence that the 12 counties Republicans have centered on in requiring voter IDs for the coming election(s) feature a great number of minorities, young people and old people. Minorities overwhelmingly vote Democratic. Young people are becoming more and more liberal, especially on social issues. Old people support medicare and the GOP typically doesn't (Paul Ryan being a prime example of that).

When George W. Bush was in office and after changing his story on the real reason for invading Iraq 7 or 8 times, he finally said that it was all about spreading democracy to the Middle East - that it'd be healthy for the country, the region and our relations with them in the future if they were to adopt a similar system as we have in the United States. Oddly enough, these same Republicans are now trying to strip us of what makes us a democracy (more like a republic, I suppose) - giving the people the right to let their voices be known come election day. If that isn't trampling over our rights, civil liberties and freedoms, I don't know what is.

http://articles.philly.com/2012-08-16/news/33217374_1_17th-amendment-senate-seat-senate-candidate

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...