Skip to main content

That was timed perfectly - Biden's "Chains" gaffe

Earlier today, I wrote a blog where I stated that if President Barack Obama made Hillary Clinton his Vice Presidential candidate, he'd be all but guaranteed a victory in November. I also said that I doubted he would make the switch, unless Joe Biden made a horrendous gaffe or got involved in a scandal. What did I read just a few moments ago? A Biden gaffe and the very surprising responses by 2008 Republican Presidential and Vice Presidential nominees John McCain and Sarah Palin, whom said it'd probably be wise that Obama make the before-mentioned Clinton his VP candidate. 

What was it Biden said? Speaking to a crowd of African-Americans in Danville, Virginia, the Vice President said, "Unchain Wall Street. They're going to put y'all back in chains."

This was met with immediate criticism by the Romney team and Republicans in general, McCain and Palin going so far as to say it'd be wise for President Obama to name Hillary Clinton as his new Vice Presidential candidate.

Do I think Biden could have chosen his words better? Yes. However, do I think the GOP is overreacting? Yes again. 

Let's not forget, the front-runner in the GOP Primary for a time was Rick Santorum and during his campaign, he said, "They will put you in chains called 'Obamacare,' and you will never break away."

Mitt Romney's just-announced running mate, Paul Ryan, said that "a renewed commitment to limited government will unshackle our economy."

While I do believe that Joe Biden, as he often times does, didn't choose his words as carefully as he probably should have, I find it rather humorous that Republicans and Mitt Romney, in particular, would act so offended by this. Not long ago, his newly-announced running mate, Paul Ryan, made comments about "unshackling our economy". While I do feel that Obama would all be guaranteed a victory come election day if he made Hillary Clinton his VP candidate, I don't believe Biden's "chains" remark warrants the switch. 

The really sad (funny) part to me is I believe the only reason the Romney team and Republicans in general are clamoring over the Biden quote is to divert attention away from Romney's tax releases (or lack there of) and Paul Ryan's budget plan. I mean, seriously, which demographic are they trying to win over with this? Blacks? Good luck. Al Gore won 90% of the black vote in 2000. John Kerry won 88% of that vote in 2004. Barack Obama won 95% of it in 2008. So yeah, best of luck with that, Mitt and Paul. The geniuses that they are (no doubt), the Romney team must have forgotten that Paul Ryan uttered the word "unshackle" not long ago, so their attempting to focus the attention on Biden's "chains" remark will only prompt Democrats to utter the Ryan quote. Geniuses indeed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...