Skip to main content

Letter-to-the-editor in "The Columbus-Dispatch" regarding Medicare

So, I read a letter-to-the-editor in The Columbus-Dispatch yesterday and found it to be quite amusing. The author of the "piece" (yes, I mean that term in an ambiguous manner) laid claim that the "liberal-news media" was lying about Paul Ryan wanting to do away with Medicare and that senior citizens had nothing to worry about. He didn't provide any facts, any sources; he really didn't provide much of anything. All he spouted were talking points. It was as if I were walking through a rush-hour traffic jam, packed full of cars sporting their favorite Republican slogans and talking points.

Where did I go? To the fact-checking site, Politifact.com and copy and pasted three URLs:

"Paul Ryan's Medicare plan 'could raise future retirees' costs more than $6,000."

Grade: Mostly True

Link: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/aug/17/barack-obama/barack-obama-ad-says-paul-ryans-medicare-plan-coul/


"[Obama] Says Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan 'want to turn Medicare into a voucher system'."

Grade: Mostly True

Link: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/aug/16/barack-obama/does-paul-ryan-want-turn-medicare-voucher-program/


"[Romney] Says Barack Obama 'robbed Medicare (of) $716 billion to pay for ... Obamacare'."

Grade: Mostly False

Link: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/aug/15/mitt-romney/mitt-romney-said-barack-obama-first-history-rob-me/


I find it to be utterly ridiculous and almost amusing for some people to try and live through slogans and talking points, meanwhile ignoring the facts countering those very words. I can make any kind of outrageous statement without giving valid source material to back it, yet that doesn't make it true, and chances are someone will come along and prove it to be false. The author of the before-mentioned letter-to-the-editor knows what he wants to believe. Unfortunately for him, that doesn't make him accurate and unfortunately for us, that doesn't make it unlikely he'll vote for a candidate based upon false information.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...