Skip to main content

A Kentucky doctor wrongly claims to be closing down his practice over Obamacare

Hard-core anti-Obamacare right-wingers have been overjoyed by the news of Kentucky doctor Stephen Kiteck closing his practice "due to the policies of Obamacare." Yes, this goes to show you that Obamacare is bad for everyone, including doctors! The problem is, the doctor is mistaken about his allegation, and his patients may actually be grateful in the long haul for the closing of his office.

What's the real reason Kiteck is closing down his operation? He said that switching from paper to electronic records is "too much of a burden to overcome."

Why is that exactly? Kiteck described he and his office as "computer illiterate" and that it would take far too many hours of training to get them all up to speed on the crazy device known as the computer. So, since Dr. Kiteck is nearing retirement age anyway, he felt it was in everyone's best interests to close down the practice.

First off, I find it just a wee bit scary to think that a doctor is "computer illiterate." Due to this story, when I start looking for another doctor, I may find myself first asking them, "Do you know what a computer is and how to use it? Just wondering..." Secondly, Dr. Kiteck is wrong in believing that Obamacare is responsible for the required change from paper to electronic records. That was actually implemented under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act in 2009 (the federal stimulus act), which is not part of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare), which was passed in 2010. So, not only is Dr. Kiteck "computer illiterate," he was wrong in claiming that the closing of his practice was "due to the policies of Obamacare." If he had learned how to use a computer, he could have looked up that handy bit of information...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jamesarkin/heres-why-that-kentucky-doctor-is-closing-his-practice-due-t

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...