Skip to main content

Another illogical pro-gun Facebook meme

It's just another day, and I see another pro-gun Facebook meme being posted which has failed-in-Critical-Thinking-class written all over it (figuratively speaking, of course).

The meme says the following:

"When there's a bombing, 
we blame the BOMBER.

When there's a drunk-driving accident,
we blame the DRIVER.

Why, when there's a shooting,
do we blame the GUN?"

Both of these comparisons fail miserably. First off, creating a bomb is illegal. Wonder why Congress doesn't push for more bomb-control legislation? Because there isn't a need for any, since making bombs is illegal. It is legal for most people of a certain age to purchase and own a gun. This is why some members of Congress have pushed for stricter gun-control laws. This lack of logic brings back memories of my Critical Thinking professor, where he would blurt out, "Fail!" at such a lousy comparison.

With regard to driving, like with purchasing a gun, it is legal for most people of a certain age. However, there are more obstacles to get through when it comes to legally being able to drive an automobile than to own a firearm, in a majority of states anyhow. Drivers are required to have X hours of training, to pass a visual, written, and driver's test, and then to get their license renewed every four years and possibly go through the same process again if they've had any troubles on the road. Whether there's an accident or not, though, driving under the influence of alcohol is illegal. There are laws in place to prevent people from driving while intoxicated. These laws could be referred to as drunk-driving-control laws. In other words, they're already in place, as opposed to stricter gun-control legislation, so once again, this comparison fails on multiple levels.

Also, I think many far-right gun enthusiasts fail to see the two essential components to scenarios like the three I mentioned before. 

It's not just the bomber's fault or the bomb's fault. Without a bomb, there would be no bomber.

It's not just the driver's fault or the alcohol's fault. Without the alcohol, there would be no drunk-driver.

It's not just the shooter's fault or the gun's fault. Without the firearm, there would be no shooter.

Yeah, like with other such memes before it, this one has failed-in-Critical-Thinking-class written all over it...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...