Skip to main content

Chris Christie: "They're the party of intolerance, not us." Riiight...

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie is back in the news and not for his closing of the George Washington Bridge. No, he's back in the news due to a speech he gave at the Conservative Political Action Conference, where he riled the base but garnered a chuckle out of me for stating the following:

"I've got asked the question last year. Governor you're very popular in a blue state. How can you export that to the rest of the country, given the intolerance on social issues in your party?' And I said, well, let me ask you a question. You said the Republicans are intolerant. I'll just tell you this: At our national convention, we've had people like Tom Ridge and Colin Powell and Condi Rice speak at our national conventions. Even though I don't agree with their position on abortion. Tell me, sir, the last pro-life Democrat who was allowed to speak at a Democratic convention? By the way, don't strain yourself, because there's never been one. They're the party of intolerance, not us."

First off, his claim is false. In just 1992, Senators John Breaux (Louisiana), Howell Heflin (Alabama), and Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley all spoke at a Democratic convention, whom all consider themselves to be "pro-life." Former House Democratic Whip David Bonior (Michigan) has spoken at several such conventions since then. Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (Nevada) has as well. If we were going by Politifact's truth-o-meter, Christie would receive a "pants on fire" grade for his comment.

Secondly, given the two parties' recent track records, I find Christie's quote to not only be false from an accuracy standpoint, but to be downright laughable.

The Republican Party is the party of tolerance, eh? Okay... At least one Republican politician (often times a majority of them) has (have) said the following (or something like it) in recent months and years:

GOPer: "You're pro-choice?!? Baby-killer!"

Christie: "They're the party of intolerance, not us."


GOPer: "We should have the right to refuse to serve or employ gay people!"

Christie: "They're the party of intolerance, not us."


GOPer: "Not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslims!"

Christie: "They're the party of intolerance, not us."


GOPer: "The Republican Party really doesn't want black people to vote."

Christie: "They're the party of intolerance, not us."


GOPer: "If you're gay, you're going to hell."

Christie: "They're the party of intolerance, not us."


GOPer: "Something would be wrong with having a woman president."

Christie: "They're the party of intolerance, not us."


GOPer: "English is the only language that should be spoken in this country!"

Christie: "They're the party of intolerance, not us."


GOPer: "People on welfare are lazy; it's as simple as that."

Christie: "They're the party of intolerance, not us."


GOPer: "They should not be able to build a mosque there!"

Christie: "They're the party of intolerance, not us."


GOPer: "You can't both be a Christian and a Democrat! That's just not possible!"

Christie: "They're the party of intolerance, not us."


Jimmy LaSalvia, founder of the gay conservative advocacy group GOProud, said this upon leaving the Republican Party earlier this year:

"I thought that the anti-gay forces and frankly the forces of intolerance in the party would diminish, and honestly, I've come to the conclusion that the Republican Party is the only place in America where they're left."

Mr. Christie, what do you have to say to that?

"They're the party of intolerance, not us."

Right... If he truly believes that, in addition to the George Washington Bridge scandal, expect to hear about a drug scandal in the near future...

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2014/03/06/3371401/christie-abortion-convention/

http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/21667-the-gops-coke-freak-out

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...