Skip to main content

ESPN breaks up with Tim Tebow in favor of Johnny Manziel

Regardless of what people say, even that one time when at a pricey all-you-can-eat buffet, there is such a thing as too much. This is definitely the case with regard to publicity. Remember the first time you heard a song on the radio and you loved it? Remember the fifty-third time you heard that same song on the radio later that week and you hated it? Me too...

ESPN seems to have trouble understanding this concept, however. While I thought former Denver Broncos starting quarterback Tim Tebow was a very mediocre NFL quarterback (yes, I'm being nice), I had nothing against the guy and kind of pulled for him at first. But then ESPN came a-calling, decided to seemingly devote half of its airtime to this one player, and before long, about 72.4% of die-hard football fans (including myself) couldn't stand Tebow. Our dislike for him had nothing to do with his character, or for the most part, not even how he played football (although, some of those throws were mighty painful to watch). We just got sick and tired of hearing about the guy. Well, Tebow's been out of the league for a little while now, so ESPN has had to set its sights elsewhere, and right after he was drafted this off-season by the Cleveland Browns, they found their guy - Johnny Manziel! Morning, noon, and night, ESPN's top five stories are:

1) Johnny Manziel

2) Johnny Manziel

3) Johnny Manziel

4) The playoff picture in Major League Baseball

5) An athlete (current or former) passed away

Like with Tebow, I have nothing against Manziel. He was fun to watch in college and is slightly controversial, so I'll likely be curious to see how he performs when he's given a chance to start for the Cleveland Browns. However, again, like with Tebow, I'm getting tired of hearing about Manziel any time I turn on ESPN. Sadly, while I criticized Tebow's quarterbacking skills, at least he was a starter at one point and was part of a playoff team during that season. Manziel may not even start for the Browns this year. Do Cleveland fans (and other football fans) have the right to be excited about Manziel? Of course. However, the guy may not even start this year, and if ESPN continues with their obsessive trend, Manziel may wind up being the most disliked player in the NFL before he's even started a game. Based on some stories I've both read and heard ESPN report about the rookie quarterback, expect to see the following headlines on ESPN.com during Manziel's first season:

- "Manziel Blows Nose On Sideline. Allergies Or A Cold?"

- "Cleveland Controversy: Manziel Eats Cereal Without Milk!"

- "Browns Down After Manziel Goes To Bed Before 11"

- "Manziel Peed Three Times Last Night. Should He See A Doctor?"

- "What If Manziel Married A Woman Named Jezel Annabelle?"

- "Manziel Makes Knock-Knock Joke - No One Laughs"

- "Lip-reader Claims Manziel Said He Wants To Get Laid"

- "Correction: Manziel Said He Wants To Play"

- "At 5 AM, Does Manziel Look Hungover Or Just Really Tired? You Decide!"

- "We At ESPN Admit We've Fallen In Love With Johnny Manziel. He Has Responded By Flipping Us Off."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...