Skip to main content

The seemingly thoughtless Mo Brooks' thoughts on being thoughtful

On Sunday, National Journal's Ron Fournier told Fox News host Chris Wallace that "the fastest growing voting bloc in this country (the Latino community) thinks the Republican Party hates them. This party, your party, cannot be the party of the future beyond November if you're seen as the party of white people." This was in response to the recent immigration debate.

In response to Fournier's comments, Alabama Representative Mo Brooks (Republican), said this:

"This is a part of the war on whites that's being launched by the Democratic Party. And the way in which they're launching this war is by claiming that whites hate everybody else. It's part of the strategy that Barack Obama implemented in 2008, continued in 2012, where he divides us all on race, on sex, greed, envy, class warfare, all those kinds of things. Well that's not true."

He also said the following:

"Democrats, they have to demagogue on this and try and turn it into a racial issue, which is an emotional issue, rather than a thoughtful issue. If it becomes a thoughtful issue, then we win and we win big. And they lose and they lose big."

Obviously Mr. Brooks wasn't being very thoughtful when uttering such words. Let me review a couple of things the Alabama Representative said:

Point #1: "This is a part of the war on whites that's being launched by the Democratic Party..."

Point #2: "Democrats, they have to demagogue on this and try and turn it into a racial issue..."

So, to clear this up, Mr. Brooks is saying that the Democratic Party, which he claims is waging a war against whites, has turned this into a racial issue. Okay then... He's also saying that the president has been dividing this country via race (and other issues), when he and the party that he represents are wanting to come to a resolution which provides the potential for a more diverse country. So, based on these statements and this rationale, Mo Brooks would probably respond to the following issues in the ways I'll sarcastically list below:

Issue: Equal pay for women

Brooks: "This whole thing that Obama is pushing isn't really about women. What he's doing is waging a war on men!"


Issue: Raising the minimum wage

Brooks: "I'm getting a little fed up with all this "oh-we're-poor-oh-woe-is-me" crap! Look - if you can afford to live in a cardboard box, you can afford to buy a house and a car! It's as simple as that. Obama really needs to cut it out dividing us by classes! We're all Americans, dammit!"


Issue: Equal marriage rights for the LGBT community

Brooks: "Why does President Obama, his wife, and all those other kinds of people hate straight couples so much? I just don't get it. What did a straight couple ever do to the President and the First Lady, huh?"


What was it you were saying about being "thoughtful," Mr. Brooks? That may be one of those unsolved mysteries we'll never quite uncover...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/04/mo-brooks-war-on-whites_n_5647967.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...