Skip to main content

Mike Ditka - "Stop it!"

I wasn't sure I would ever hear a defense more ridiculous than the one Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder gave of his team's nickname, but given former NFL head coach Mike Ditka's recent tirade, I stand corrected.

In an interview with RedskinsHistorian.com, Ditka said the following:

"What's all the stink over the Redskins name? It's so much horse sh*t it's incredible. We're going to let the liberals of the world run this world. It was said out of reverence, out of pride to the American Indian. Even though it was called a Redskin, what are you going to call them, a Brownskin? This is so stupid it's appalling, and I hope that owner keeps fighting for it and never changes it, because the Redskins are part of an American football history, and it should never be anything but the Washington Redskins. That's the way it is."

Judges, what do you think of Mr. Ditka's statement?

"This is so stupid it's appalling..."

Indeed it is.

I'm not sure which line is more idiotic, the one where Ditka talks about Brownskins or that since the team is a part of football history, they should never change their name.

Yes, Mr. Ditka, if the Washington Redskins change their name, it will be to the Washington Brownskins, because let's face it, the only way to honor a group of people apparently is to use derogatory language at their disposal. Also, let's face it - the only way we can define a group of people is through their skin color, because we're complex and brilliant like that.

What do you think, Coach Ditka?

"This is so stupid it's appalling..."

Your argument against the criticism of the team's name? I concur.

What else did you have to say about the matter, coach?

"...I hope that owner keeps fighting for it and never changes it, because the Redskins are part of an American football history, and it should never be anything but the Washington Redskins. That's the way it is."

Right, because nothing has ever changed in the world of professional football.

Coach, what do you think about the Cleveland Browns moving to Baltimore and being called the Ravens?

"This was part of an American football history. It should have never changed. That's the way it was."

Okay, what about the implementation of the 2-point conversion?

"This isn't part of an American football history. It should have never changed. That's the way it was."

What about African-Americans being allowed to play in the league?

"This wasn't a part of an American football history. It should have never changed. That's the way it was."

Speaking of history, I think with his recent rant, Mike Ditka has made one thing abundantly clear - his views are not only older than American football history, they're older than ancient history.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/20/mike-ditka-redskins-name_n_5694653.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...