Skip to main content

Slightly surprised by the continued Michael Vick protests

After veteran quarterback Michael Vick was signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers a couple weeks ago, I've been slightly surprised to read so many articles protesting the signing. While I've always been and always will be a dog lover, I also believe in second chances, and since Vick reentered the league in 2009 with the Philadelphia Eagles, he's appeared to turn his life around, be a stand-up teammate, and more importantly, a stand-up citizen. He's worked with animal rights organizations to speak out against dogfighting, highlighting his previous involvement in it, and attempted to inspire others to not make the same mistakes he did. While this was mandatory at first, it has since become voluntary. I, and many others, were/are sickened by dogfighting organizations like the one Michael Vick had been previously involved with, but who better to speak out against such cruel and inhumane activities than a big name who had himself been involved with them, like Michael Vick? Who's going to be more persuasive to kids on the ills of drug addiction, someone who has never touched drugs in their lives, or an individual who was almost killed by them, served time in prison, and has kept clean ever since being released? People can hate the pre-Philadelphia Eagles Michael Vick and the sick activities he partook in all they'd like, but he's not the same man today. He was given a second chance in life, has made the most of it, and I think, while we should never forget what he and others like him have done, we should forgive and hope he's able to help prevent many others from partaking in dogfighting in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...