Skip to main content

What I learned in Week 1 of the NFL season...

In Week 1 of the NFL season, I learned...

...Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll may one day write a parody of the Three Dog Night song, "One," where in the chorus he sings, "One is the longest yard, one is the longest yard, one is the longest yard I've ever seen."

...New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin likely called Pete Carroll up after the Giants/Cowboys game and said, "You know all the crap you got for your call at the 1-yard line in the Super Bowl? I'm about to get even more crap for my call, which was ten times dumber than yours! So, yeah, I've got that going for me, which is nice."

...it may soon be seen as patriotic to despise the New England Patriots.

...that while Jameis Winston's first throw in the NFL was a pick-six, at least he could tell himself, "It can only go up from here." Then again, the Buccaneers wound up losing to the Tennessee Titans 42-14.

...Peyton Manning may soon be asking Papa John's owner John Schnatter what the ingredients are to regaining his form from a couple years ago (this may include consuming fewer Papa John's pizzas).

...Cleveland Browns fans are already asking, "When's the NBA season start?"

..., with the way he played on Sunday, Tennessee Titans' soft-spoken rookie quarterback Marcus Mariota may tell the press, "This was a great team effort," but deep down inside, he's saying, "I'm so f**king awesome!"

...the Oakland Raiders are bound to become the Chicago Cubs of the NFL (pre-Joe Maddon), as analysts continually project them to be improved and a sleeper, before quickly uttering after the season starts, "Eh, maybe next year."

...God likely punished Chip Kelly for cutting Tim Tebow.

...more missed extra points makes the games so much more exciting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...